View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #72
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
Then again, Goyer didn't know at that point that a more extreme set of terrorists would be the villains of the third film.
Yeah, I think the point of what Goyer was saying was just to show that they're treating this with a degree of seriousness and reality and that they're looking for aspects of the Batman world that can have parallels to the current day sociopolitical climate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post
Thanks for proving our point. Proving Ra's had a purpose that made sense.
I was backing up Alexei's point that Al-Qaeda was considered in the minds of the creators when they first decided to adapt the Ra's/The League in these films. It's always been a staple of the Ra's character that he's trying to save the world through terrorism. It's the same for Bane and Talia, but they're different people with more extreme methods and different personal stakes. They use Ra's name to justify their mission, but ultimately they're bending it to fit what they want.

I like that for Ra's, Bane and Talia, their personal motivations for becoming evil are explained, but their actual ideologies are pretty much analogous to the ones of real life terrorists. Whereas for The Joker, we get a deep look inside his head and how he sees the world, but his personal motivation for becoming this way is kept a mystery. It provides a nice contrast. Ra's, Bane and Talia all start as very human characters with human emotions (Two-Face as well for that matter), whereas The Joker is a monster all the way through and that's all we get to see. You could boil down The Joker to being pretty much Satan incarnate, just like you can boil down the LOS to being pretty much Al-Qaeda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post
If I ever got meet Osama Bin Laden I'd ask him what his agenda was. What ever it is I bet it didn't contradict the guy he was supposed to be fulfilling the destiny of.
You mean Allah?

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158