View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #74
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Yeah, I think the point of what Goyer was saying was just to show that they're treating this with a degree of seriousness and reality and that they're looking for aspects of the Batman world that can have parallels to the current day sociopolitical climate.

I was backing up Alexei's point that Al-Qaeda was considered in the minds of the creators when they first decided to adapt the Ra's/The League in these films. It's always been a staple of the Ra's character that he's trying to save the world through terrorism. It's the same for Bane and Talia, but they're different people with more extreme methods and different personal stakes.

I like that for Ra's, Bane and Talia, their personal motivations for becoming evil are explained, but their actual ideologies are pretty much analogous to the ones of real life terrorists. Whereas for The Joker, we get a deep look inside his head and how he sees the world, but his personal motivation for becoming this way is kept a mystery. It provides a nice contrast. Ra's, Bane and Talia all start as very human characters with human emotions (Two-Face as well for that matter), whereas The Joker is a monster all the way through and that's all we get to see. You could boil down The Joker to being pretty much Satan incarnate, just like you can boil down the LOS to being pretty much Al-Qaeda.
Great post all-around.

And I love the bit about The Joker being Satan. He pretty much was. Since TDK was essentially a battle of good vs. evil, its very fitting for him to be compared to Satan.