View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #23
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Default Re: Matthew Vaughn Is NOT Helming X-Men: First Class Sequel - Part 1

Major hmmm moment here. I want to celebrate...I really do. But I have misgivings.

On the one hand, I do think that Bryan is a great director; he's an excellent storyteller. But I don't believe he told the best X-Men film stories. Does that even make sense? I know it sounds crazy but it's how I feel. His handling of...well, "everyone else" except Logan was a massive failure to me. Now, I'm afraid he'll be obsessively focused on Xavier and Erik and carve an almost homoerotic nuance out of their storyline--to the point of once again ignoring everyone else. And that's because Bryan's best work excels when he's focused on just 2 or 3 characters. Ensemble films I believe he struggles with big-time.

In other words: this decision to have him direct is a step forward in quality storytelling, but a total step backward in character development for the X-Men as a group. I want Avengers treatment here...hell, even Fantastic Four-level interraction where these mutants operate as a dysfunctional team of heroes. Even X-Men: Last Stand was a stab in the right direction for that. Not sure we'll get that for this sequel.

I'm just...face-palmed out here.

Once you've fallen, just lay there. As you lay, simply think of how stupid you are and how your stupidity got you there.

Last edited by Lightning Strykez!; 10-30-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Lightning Strykez! is offline   Reply With Quote