View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 07:31 PM   #29
Raining hell from above
Default Re: MCU Phase 2 Box Office/Budget Prediction Thread

Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I strongly suspect that both those reports were mixing up two separate errors: the reason the production budget and the "actual" budget are somewhat different, is because the production budget doesn't include marketing costs. However, there's actually a good reason for this: a *lot* of marketing costs are more virtual than real. For example, when a fast food chain makes a deal with you to include movie tie-in promotions, its very likely that no actual *money* changes hands. Instead, the movie studio "pays" the fast food company in "license to use our trademark imagery" ( which has a theoretical monetary value ), and the fast food company "pays" the movie studio in "advertising".

So, long story short: I don't believe for a minute that Disney actually paid almost 500M to make and sell Avengers. 300M, I'd believe easily, if you figure actual marketing costs rather than de jure marketing costs ( ie, marketing that actually costs real dollars, paid to an independent entity and not another Disney division ).
This is exactly right. In March Disney announced a huge, $100 million marketing push that involved deals with merchandising partners for The Avengers. Companies with tie-in deals ran Avengers-centric ads, which of course helped promote the film to the public. All those commercials for Red Baron Pizza, Acura and Target, etc. were free advertising for Marvel.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote