View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #45
Baramos
Side-Kick

Default Re: Now that Disney has acquired Lucas films...

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
. . .in what world are the X-Men and FF movie rights worth even close to $4B? I like comic book movies and all, but almost nothing approaches the value of Star Wars. Particularly because Disney bought *all* the Star Wars rights: movies, TV, cartoons, video games, toys, clothing. Everything.

If all of Star Wars ( plus a bunch of other minor things like ILM! ) are worth 4B, than I guarantee you, the actual value two far smaller movie IPs, which only include associated merchadising specific to the movies? Aren't worth 4B.
So you're saying Disney paid 4 billion dollars for Star Wars and its various franchising rights in order to...break even? Not to make a profit? That would be pretty stupid business management, wouldn't it? I assume they will be making something like 20-30 billion dollars with Star Wars over the next few decades.

It was worth 4 billion dollars to George Lucas. He doubled his net worth instantly. He's getting old and looking to retire from big film making and make personal projects. That's why he sold Star Wars for significantly less than the franchise is worth. That's why I doubt Disney could repeat the same thing with these two franchises for only 4 billion dollars: they're worth more than 4 billion dollars to Fox.

Baramos is offline   Reply With Quote