View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #46
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Now that Disney has acquired Lucas films...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baramos View Post
I was figuring in DVD sales and foreign box office and TV licensing and such. You're actually wrong on the other 5 not making 2 billion, the numbers add up to at least that. Those are just grosses, though, that's true, it's not counting the money to make the films.
No, the math actually states that the X-Men film franchise has not crossed $2 billion, that's including foreign box office. Actually, the X-Men film franchise is actually showing diminishing returns for Fox currently.

Quote:
My main point was not that Star Wars isn't more valuable in the long run than X-Men and Fantastic Four.
No they're not. You're wrong. Dead wrong.

Quote:
It's that X-Men and Fantastic Four are worth way more than 4 billion dollars in the long-run.
The film rights to X-Men and the Fantastic Four are not worth more than $4 billion dollars. Marvel bought all of Marvel Entertainment for $4 billion, film rights to two franchises that are not at their strongest are not worth $4 billion.

Quote:
They are hardly going to be bought for 4 billion dollars.
Disney would never even consider offering them $4 billion. Hell, I doubt they would even consider $1 billion. Why offer 20th Century Fox any money when it's possible that they can get the Fantastic Four rights back for free and with the way the X-Men continue to perform (diminishing returns) 20th Century Fox just might end up giving up on the franchise (that's a big might though).

Quote:
The only reason it was possible is Lucas is a single person to whom 4 billion dollars is more money than can be spent in a lifetime. If a corporation had owned Star Wars it would never have sold for 4 billion dollars. Star Wars is worth far more than that.
Star Wars is worth more than $4 billion (the $3 billion in merchandising alone proves it). I'll give you that. It's obvious IMO that Lucas sold Star Wars on the cheap because he genuinely wanted to retire.