View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #48
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Now that Disney has acquired Lucas films...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baramos View Post
So you're saying Disney paid 4 billion dollars for Star Wars and its various franchising rights in order to...break even? Not to make a profit? That would be pretty stupid business management, wouldn't it? I assume they will be making something like 20-30 billion dollars with Star Wars over the next few decades.
Except he's not saying that at all. He's saying that the film rights aren't even close to being worth $4 billion. Disney paid $4 billion for all of Lucasfilm (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, ILM, Skywalker Sound, etc.). What makes you think that film rights to two movie franchises are worth $4 billion? There is literally no basis for your assumption.

Quote:
It was worth 4 billion dollars to George Lucas. He doubled his net worth instantly. He's getting old and looking to retire from big film making and make personal projects. That's why he sold Star Wars for significantly less than the franchise is worth. That's why I doubt Disney could repeat the same thing with these two franchises for only 4 billion dollars: they're worth more than 4 billion dollars to Fox.
Except they're not worth more than $4 billion to 20th Century Fox. The Fantastic Four films have been financial underperformers and X-Men is a franchise of diminishing returns. Not only that, but that is some seriously faulty logic. I can say that my house is worth $4 billion to me, doesn't mean that it's actually worth that.