View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #24
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: The #4 movie - which movie series will have it first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Wait, what world is it that you live in where prequels are sequels??? On the planet I live on no one refers to any prequel as a sequel, and for good reason, the word sequel comes form the latin "sequi" meaning "to follow." And this "bizzare" method is called natural numbers. You may have forgotten it since you learned integers. The question is a valid one, and it highlights how none of the modern CBMs has ever continued the story forward after a Trilogy, and no CBM has done it with a movie that was not hated. (Thanks Quest for Peace and Batman & Robin!) That's an interesting observation.
You...lecturing me....on grammar and usage. Ooooh, that's rich.

Son: "prequel" is a portmanteau. It *combines* the prefix "pre-" with, uh, what's that word again? Oh, yeah: "sequel." It matters precisely not one iota that a prequel precedes an existing story chronologically; it matters only that *sequentially,* the prequel was created AFTER the original. Ergo: it is still a type of *sequel.*

And since there's no way in hell you're ever going to take my word for anything or ever agree with me on anything, then allow me to present to you a more objective definition from Wiki:

Quote:
Rather than being a concept distinct from that of a sequel, a prequel still adheres to the general principle of serialization, defined only by its internal chronology and publication order. For example, the Star Wars episodes were released in the order IV-VI followed by I-III; Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999) is a prequel to Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983) but, under the dictionary definition, is only a predecessor rather than a prequel of Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002) due to release order.
Cappice? Regardless of what order the movies were released, there are SIX movies in the Star Wars series. Just as there are FOUR movies in the X-Men series (XMOW notwithstanding, since it's about a solo character instead of the team).

Ergo: X-Men already has four movies in sequence. By your/Psylocke's definition, the "#4 movie" was X-Men: The Last Stand.

Also: "bizarre" is still the proper spelling, not "bizzare." But thanks for trying to spell-check me. Nice try.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote