View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 01:06 AM   #281
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
If you look at the way Gotham is presented in Begins it's actually not unlike how it's presented in TDK, the difference being I think is that they are more seen than heard as opposed to TDK when they're both seen and heard. We see it in the Narrows with the child, on the streets with the Hobo, The Judge in Falcone's bar, the rich folks at the restaurant, and of course Joe Chill, hell even the falafel guy, those people are Gotham, their voices are not nearly as loud in Begins but they are the faces of what's happening to the city within the story. When I and others say 'Voice of Gotham' we don't necessarily mean it in a literal sense, we mean it in a sense of perspective. It's probably not the right term to be using, a better term would probably be 'Perspective of Gotham' which is sorely lacking in Rises. We don't see how things are for Joe Public in TDKR, it's a level of ambiguity that creates an emotional disconnect with the supposed danger that they are facing.
I know what you mean. But similarly I can point to the Wall Streeters at the Stock exchange having their shoes shined and talking about Wayne, the Wayne Board that featured some of the same faces from BB, Foley's family huddling while Gotham is ransomed, the man who runs the orphanage that is doubling as a shelter during Bane's occupation, the Mayor and the Congressman at the party, Selina's thieving friend and the smug businessman who Crane sets on the ice.

They both let you know there is a city, but the middle film is the only one where you feel the soul of the city is at stake and know what that is.

--John Adams