View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
American Maid
Side-Kick

Default Re: Sigyn Goddess of Fidelity and Wife of Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizah72 View Post
I have been rather disappointed in how she is portrayed in the comics from what I've found on her. I believe she was handled extremely poorly by the writers . . . Like it was a bunch of men writing her who didnt know what to do with her.. . the more I think she . . .really has a lot of potential in the MCU as a character, if handled correctly, . . . And then consider that led up to that, to keep it together throughout that, is well... an AMAZING woman and character. This is NOT a weak woman.
Maddeningly, the part of the post I've quoted can be (and has been) made about *any number of* female comic book characters.

But I believe things are changing. Thor1, actually, was praised as being a leader in this regard (see, for example, http://www.socialjusticeleague.net/2...ist-movie-yes/) And I've read bits and pieces about efforts Marvel seems to be making behind the scenes that make me hopeful that the change will extend beyond one movie.

Quote:
The differences in personality between comic book Loki and MCU Loki as set up in Thor, I think would allow for a much more believable love story between the two than was done in the comics. There is so much missing about myth Sigyn, that it's hard to know exactly how things were between them in that context, and I feel like the comics depictions of her are probably very far off from what was initially intended by the myths.
That could be very interesting! Add depth to them both.

It's not such a bad thing that we know very little about Sigyn from myth. That means there's less in the way of expectations to constrain a writer.

Quote:
I freakin' LOVE the image on the right there...
Yeah, I like it too!

American Maid is offline   Reply With Quote