View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #159
Johnny Blaze
Freethinker

Default Re: Ultimate One Universe RPG: IC Thread

THE DEVIL'S DUE

Part 6

"Jeez", Gwen exclaims as Peter piles yet another massive scoop of mashed potatoes onto his plate. Both she and Peter sat at their small dining room table, a nice meal spread of ham, potatoes, and green beans spread out before them.

"You're not pregnant...are you?"

"Haha, funny", Peter mockingly rolls his eyes as he swallows a spoonful down.
"No, just just up a real hardcore workout program recently after work. Things making me famished."

"Why didn't you tell me about it before"
, Gwen asked before taking a sip from her wine?

"I don't know, babe...I just didn't think it was a big deal. I'm sorry."

Gwen gave Peter a skeptical look, but let it go.

"Oh, here! Check this out", Gwen suddenly exclaimed as she passed Peter her iPad.

Peter took it from her and saw that it was a digital copy of the Daily Bugle, showing today's paper's headline. It was a picture of Spider-Man and Daredevil battling Tombstone out front of the club, with a headline of "Heroes Serve Up Mob Boss in the Kitchen."

"Oh yeah...I heard about this today at work. The two vigilantes took down a crime boss. Good stuff."

"Read the tag lines", Gwen bade him with a smile.

Peter looked down at the edge of the picture that showed the following words, "Photo by Gwen Stacy."

Peter was upset, but did his best not to show. Despite his concern over her well being, Peter was very proud of her. And that he did show.

"Wow, baby...front page? That's amazing! Congratulations", Peter beamed.

"Thanks", Gwen smirked.
"I was thinking we could celebrate by watching my favorite movie together later."

Peter groaned, "Oi...Titanic?"

"No, my...other favorite movie."

Peter looked confused for a second before it dawned on him.

"Oh, that movie! You naughty girl..."

"If you're lucky", Gwen cooed.
"Face it, Tiger...you hit the jackpot with me."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The room nearly black, save for a large monitor screen that stood next to a blackboard that was displayed by a tall, single white light on a flexible pole. The video running on the monitor was muted, but the images spoke louder: Spider-Man in action, battling criminals and even yesterday's fight with Tombstone.
With his back turned towards the monitor, Professor Ivo scratched away at the board, working on a rather long equation. Bach played softly in the background, as Ivo always said the classics help him focus.
Next to the Professor stood a regular wooden stool, and on it was a single glass of scotch. The good stuff.

"Hello, Ivo", Norman's voice drowns out the music and pulls the Professor from his work as he turns to regard Mr. Osborn, who has just entered the room.
"A little dark in here, isn't it?"

"It's perfectly fine for my needs, Mr. Osborn."

"Fair enough", Osborn stated flatly.
"I want to know how your work has been progressing, Professor. It's been a week without any kind of update."

"Don't fret, Osborn", Ivo sighs.
"I've gathered enough data to begin construction of the prototype. I should have the weapon fully functional in a month's time."

"Excellent news, Professor", Norman grinned.
"Very soon, you and I...we're going to reshape the world."

"And become blind, stinking rich in the process", Ivo added as he raised his glass in a toast.
"Here's to us, old boy."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adrian Toomes sits back down onto his leather couch in his well-furbished Manhattan loft. Toomes leaned back and relaxed a bit as he made a very important phone call.

"Job's done, Mr. White. Lincoln's been dealt with."

"I know. I read the paper. Not as I planned it, but it's quicker than exposing him through the media."

"Yessir", Toomes agreed, "Either way, one of the final pieces of resistance to the organization is gone. As you say, quicker this way too."

"Yeah, but these heroes..."

There was silence for a few seconds as Toomes gathered that White was still thinking on the matter.

"Keep an eye on them. Scout them out. They both have already been interrupting a few of our lower level ops, but they could become a major thorn real fast. When that day comes, they'll need to be taken care of."

"Will do, sir", Toomes nodded.

"In the meantime...this reporter we were gonna use..."

"Basil Karlo."

"Yeah, Karlo...get rid of him. He's a loose end, and you know that I can't ****ing stand loose ends. You hear me, Toomes? I want you to handle this personally, got it?"

"Read you loud and clear, boss"
, Toomes stated coolly.
"Consider Mr. Karlo on borrowed time."

"I'm counting on you, Adrian...take care of this, and I'll take care of you."

"Consider the matter cared for, sir."

Toomes hung up the phone and took a deep breath. He needed to shower and get ready for bed. He's got a big day tomorrow, as he'll begin to plan out the murder of Basil Karlo...