View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #662
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Nah, when one makes speeches like that, its either a general "I am an awesome and terrible villain" act. . . or it means one was *disillusioned* by a hero in the past.

I could buy it either way: the Mandarin might well have *never* believed in heroes, having never met an actual one. Thus, he assumed the world was a place filled with venal, weak, petty individuals occasionally blinded by self-delusion, and so forged himself into the kind of person who could achieve greatness in such a world. If so? I expect that when Tony Stark shows his unexpected heroic strength, the Mandarin will switch from disdain to outright rage.

Yeah, I'm sure there's a helluva lot more context to that brief quote. Because frankly, it's outright stupid: "First lesson: there are no heroes." That's total bull**** and even Mandarin knows it --- there's heroes all around, from the everyday variety to full-blown folk heroes and, of course, superheroes.

So the actual speech probably continues with Mandarin offering some sort of qualifying description of the term: "First lesson: there are no heroes. There are only people who......(fill in the blank)"

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014