View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #45
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

Default Re: Am I the only one that feels like TDKR prevents Nolan's trilogy from being perfec

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
I think people just want that because it's expected, though. We had enough of an idea of how the people felt in general, never once did I wonder how the people felt about anything. The reason a writer/director chooses to show crowd reactions is to show how the character should feel. Blake and Foley (among others) definitely handle that. It would be superfluously tedious to show it through the people because the point has already been conveyed.
But for me that didn't work with this kind of story, if the city has been occupied I would like to see that city slowly crumble away. Okay maybe not show individual people but at least show Gotham in a bad state physically as if its hanging on by a thread. If those characters were meant to reflect the people then it did a poor job for example based on Foley's desicion to hide at home does that suggest everyone has decided to take to their homes? If all Bane's occupation has done is make people hide in their home then to me Gotham really isn't in that much of a bad state.

I think for such a vast plan the film really should have either been A) Longer or B) split into two films (an option that I understand creates mixed feelings here). Bane's plan didn't seem life threatening it just looked like a bit of an annoyance to the citizens and they hid away as if they were waiting for it to all blow over.

Now if this was the first Batman film this wouldn't be a problem for me (at least not as much as it is) but the first two films built this city up and now it just seemed to abandon it. The narrows for example doesn't even get a mention in this film. It also for me should have been the point where the people turn to Batman to save them but that's never shown. Blake still has faith but that doesn't mean it reflects the general out look, remember in TDK you had the press conference calling for Batman to turn himself in? You had Coleman Reese prepared to turn him in, phone calls on GCN... you have two films of a city unsure whether Batman was good or bad (the dinner/swimming pool scene in BB) so this should have been THEE moment to show the city root for his return. When he does return I get the vibe that the city doesn't care.

Even with the statue at the end we don't see people clapping or anything to show that the city now looks up to Batman. There was a really good bit at the beginning of TDK where you had the rusty Bat-signal/inspired cop (Blake)/Mayor's speech against Batman/Day dedicated to Dent where you feel that the time had past and the city looked up to Dent. When they realised that he was a fraud they should have turned to Batman IMO.

I remember a really cool sounding theory that all the chalk Bat-symbols were drawn by civillians hoping that he would return and we kinda see that with the kid at the beginning but that idea fades away. The courtroom scenes were also awesome but again we only saw how the rich were being affected. That's good but you sorta need to see how the poor are being affected as well seeing as it gave the impression that Bane wanted them to rise up. If he did why not show it? Just a couple of shots of people joining Bane. A few shots of people turning against him perhaps... this all expands Gotham and lets us know how its coping.

If you didn't feel this way thats fine but I and a few others did.

I'm not asking for 5-10 minutes of screentime I was hoping for literally the odd 30 second scene or shot just something to show that needed Batman to return or that Gotham was being torn to shreds from within itself. I love the film but this is without doubt my main issue with it (and ironically an issue that never sticks out when I watch it but only after I watch it).

Psychic though? That sounds like something out of science-fiction.

We live in a spaceship, dear.