View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #11
American Maid
Side-Kick

Default Re: Sigyn Goddess of Fidelity and Wife of Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizah72 View Post
being a strong root or base to one's family is INCREDIBLY important to society as a whole, ...

and... [begin rant/] ...when all is revealed she could get out of the marriage but instead she stays with Loki, not because she loves him but because they are married. ??? Then later, she is trying to make a go of it, and becomes really annoyingly doting and clingy to Loki, and he cheats and he's verbally abusive, probably physically too although I haven't seen for sure. ... Somehow, she just puts up with all of this and acts like she loves him, when there is clearly nothing to love about comic book Loki! (unless you are a masochist). SO RIDICULOUS!!! UGH!!! Anyway, she's somehow in love with him, dont ask me how the hell that happened, and she does all this stuff for him, to save him and to bring him back. ... It is just such an insulting portrayal of a loving loyal wife as a really annoying doormat. [/end rant]

So, going forward, before Marvel even considers using Sigyn in the MCU or again in comics, they need to really seriously rethink how to handle her and that relationship, and making this character and her love story believable and with dignity.
I thought about this some more and have an idea of how to reframe it.

I mentioned that in the Viking Age, people did not view love as a foundation for marriage. Marriages were arranged by elders (and contracts drawn up) to form alliances between families. Sigyn would up with Loki due to subterfuge on Loki's part, but an alliance between her family and the House of Odin could nevertheless be incredibly important, depending on how much they write Asgardian culture to be like Viking culture. Viking women had the right of divorce, but perhaps there would be political implications if an alliance were dissolved (for example, family members may feel fewer prohibitions about moving against members of the other family after dissolution). So perhaps Sigyn sees it as her duty to do her utmost to make the marriage work as well as possible for the sake of her clan, knowing full well the psychological trauma she is likely to endure from an unloving husband.

A conventional framework is for a protagonist to enter into physical battle, possibly against stronger opposition, knowing that there likely will be great physical cost, perhaps even death, for the sake of others. (On re-reading this, I realized this is the denouement of Thor1.) This is a common structure in our culture, both in books and movies, and we say, "He is brave; he is a hero." (and it is almost always a male protagonist) In the framework I propose for Sigyn, she is enduring great psychological cost to herself for the sake of her extended family.

I suppose that might be one reason why women's struggles, such as in raising a family, have not been celebrated in the same way historically. They often are not physical or culminating in a 20-minute showdown, but rather a day-to-day grind requiring mental toughness to get up each morning and try again.

So Sigyn could be seen as brave, especially since her sacrifice is unsung. (No one will tell stories of this day.)

American Maid is offline   Reply With Quote