View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
American Maid
Side-Kick

Default Re: Sigyn Goddess of Fidelity and Wife of Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizah72 View Post
I mean, it's one thing to oogle a good looking actor who is clearly fully in charge of all of his faculties, from far far away, it's another to oogle someone right in front of you who you believe to either have suffered a serious head injury or may be a mental patient. BIG difference! Tsk... tsk... That just turned me off that part of the story big time.
This is a fair critique of Jane's character, although it's fairer to place it earlier in the film. When they first come upon him, Erik tells Jane that they really have to get him to a hospital. Jane is focused on the research and dismisses that idea, saying, "He's fine! Look at him!"

At the point of the shirtless scene, the humans have seen that he was in the up-in-the-air image of the Einstein-Rosen Bridge image. It's clear that he is not what he appears to be. And I think Darcy is alluding to that by saying, "for a crazy homeless guy". I think she doesn't know what he is, but he's not a crazy homeless guy.

The column writer was a bit ambivalent about the scene too, saying that we could debate whether it's good to objectify anyone, but what was refreshing was that it was done from a different perspective than usual.

Quote:
Oh, I dont know, I would have been happier if Darcy gave him some looks and comments and Jane said, "Darcy, I've hit this guy with our vehicle *twice* he may have head injury. He may be a mental patient for all we know. He may be someone's husband and father. Try using a bit more sensitivity to another human being who is in trouble right now and probably has family worried sick about him. He is not a piece of meat. Okay?" I would have LOVED Jane at that moment. Quite frankly. She would have seemed much more worthy of the man who would be worthy of Mjolnir.
The entirety of that speech I think would have come off preachy. But perhaps she could have said, exasperatedly, "Darcy!" (or maybe, "Down, Darcy.") instead of just quickly glancing away.

Quote:
Hi, yes I checked elsewhere and Gaea is the mother, and Freya is the queen not the crone.
What I was referring to was that in many myth systems there appears a trio of women representing the three phases of womanhood: Maiden, Mother, and Crone. When the writer implemented this idea, he (Fraction?) may have been nodding to this recurring theme. When I was trying to find a picture of them to post, I came across another reference that referred to Idunn in this story being the Maiden and Gaea being the Mother. To fit these three All-Mothers into that framework, Freyja would have to be the Crone, although she is not drawn like the Crone figure usually is.

But maybe the writer wanted to start with that, but then put a twist on it.

Quote:
Although technically I think Freya is the goddess of fertility, she is referred to somewhere as being Sigyn's mother, (with a dwarf as her father) but I have no idea if that is based on original lore or something more recently made up. There's a lot of conflicting information out there about all of these Norse myths,
Well, Freyja is the queen of the Vanir, from Vanaheim. I get the impression that way back when, there were competing pantheons, the Aesir in Asgard and the Vanir, and that somewhere along the line the stories got merged together (actually, researching a little on the side, I find the myths tell that the two groups fought a war and unified thereafter).

Quote:
it seems like lots of fan fiction writers added to it over the centuries. lol. . . .

Like i said, seems like there have been some "fan fiction" writers over the centuries and there is unfortunately not enough of the original lore about her and her original relationship with her husband to determine that.
Another complicating factor is that the Vikings didn't really record their culture. What we have was recorded after Christianization of Scandinavia. Scholars think that sometime the authors would mischaracterize the actual Viking beliefs to portray them in a bad light and thus promote Christianity.

Quote:
I would think Loki of any incarnation would be much happier married to the "Victory bringer" Sigyn than "She-who-offers-sorrow" Angrboda in any case! lol One could certainly see how either comic book or MCU Loki would want a woman like that by his side, and to keep her by her side. But they missed the opportunity to show that in the comics, lets hope they dont make the same mistake in MCU (or future comics incarnations of her)
I agree with you completely on that.

Quote:
Idunn's outfit, ugh.... being a *ahem* well endowed female, I can say with utmost certainty that unless that bra goes on with superglue it ain't stayin' on in a fight (but perhaps that's the appeal to some. lol)
Yeah, when I saw that, I thought, "You know, if I looked in the mirror and saw that, I wouldn't think, 'I'm ready to go fight for Asgard!' I would think, 'I need to go out and buy a new bra!'" lol

But maybe, as you allude, it is just fan service

American Maid is offline   Reply With Quote