View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #85
rickfox
Devil

Default Re: Am I the only one that feels like TDKR prevents Nolan's trilogy from being perfec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
No, you are not the only one that feels this way. I am an avid fan of the Nolan films and of Batman in general. I loved The Dark Knight. It is my favorite comic book movie to date and is in my opinion one of the greatest movies ever made period (in the top 10, if not, then definitely in the top 20 and in the top 5 movies of the 2000's). I loved Batman Begins as well. It is in my opinion the best superhero origin movie to date as well as one of the best movies ever made (somewhere in the top 50) and in my top 5 favorite comic book movies to date.

On the other hand, I absolutely hated TDKR. It was a mess from start to finish and it shocks me that it was directed by Christopher Nolan. I can write a whole essay on the stupidity behind this movie. In fact, I can write multiple essays. However, I've been arguing and discussing the movie for months now and at this point, I'm sick and tired of repeating myself over and over again.

In a nutshell, TDKR fails for the following reasons:

1. As a stand-alone movie in general, it fails because a lot of scenes contradict other scenes in the movie, there are many plot holes, and a lot of the character motivations make no sense and are underdeveloped.

2. As a sequel to BB and TDK, it fails because it ignores/contradicts many themes, plot points, ideas, character arcs and development that were established in the first two movies. It ignores and contradicts many things from both movies but it specifically contradicts TDK - almost everything in it. I would almost go as far as to say that you shouldn't watch TDKR at all if you watched TDK and loved it and you don't want it ruined for you.

3. As a Batman movie, it fails because many characters do not act like how they're supposed to. Bruce/Batman himself is horribly out of character throughout the movie and a lot of the main messages in the movie are very anti-Batman.

Basically, TDKR is to BB and TDK what The Phantom Menace was to the original SW trilogy but to a much lesser extent (as in TDKR doesn't bastardize BB and TDK as much as TPM bastardized the original film trilogy and Star Wars in general).

Since I don't feel like repeating myself over and over again like I did for the whole past summer, I'll leave you off with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbtxrM5TBAc

It is a podcast a couple of friends of mine did discussing all the issues with the movie and expanding on the basic flaws the movie has that I already mentioned above. I wasn't in the video but we discussed a lot of the stuff they brought up in the podcast before they started recording so they basically speak for me.

Also check out this review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS65Xv6jqlA
It is a commentary on the movie. The guy analyzes the movie piece by piece starting with the opening scene up until the ending and exposes all the problems it has and more specifically, all the problems each individual part has. Great commentary IMO.

Feel free to let me know what you think. And although I said I'm sick of listing the flaws the movie has, I am willing to discuss the movie if anyone addresses any specific point my friends talked about in their vid (or any point the guy in the commentary talked about).
gladly you are the minority