View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #33
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
I dont think it would be a weak mistake. Those things are being explored in the comics as we speak with teams combined of X Men and Avengers to make a point. Its interesting that characters like Tony Stark or the FF are welcomed as celebrities but mutants are feared because of prejudice reasons. Right now we have zero exploration in the films on what would happen if the general public knew mutants were saving them. There is so much these films could do there on the subject, instead of being the world hates mutants and thats that. Its completely one sided, with little to no insight on the publics views. X Men could work fine in the Marvel Universe for that reaosn imo. Its way too soon to even go Superheros VS Mutants beacuse the X Men still need their own developing but theres nothing wrong with them interacting with characters from other Marvel properties like Franklin if stories originally feature them for the time being.
Tony Stark isn't a mutant though. He's an out-of-the-superhero-closet Batman. He has money and fancy toys, not a mutated chromosome.

The problem with making it all of a sudden okay to be a mutant in the past, which is what the FC trilogy is meant to be, is that we know in the future/"present-ish day" that mutant prejudice is still a really big issue. X2 and X3 revolved around that idea (and we saw bits of it in X1). Heck, the FUTURE involves mutant-hunting giant robots. It can't suddenly be ok to be a mutant in 1978 and then not 20 years later. Not to mention, X-Men has ALWAYS been an allegory for minorities. It's one of the reasons they're so interesting and one of the ways they're separate from other Marvel heroes.

I guess all the FF-ok-mutants-not ok aside, I just don't see how they could introduce FF in movies that deal with the past. If FOX wants to make FF movies they'd have to make the cast young and present-day. As in, they'd have been teenagers in X-Men 1. I don't like the vibe I get from Millar that he'll just screw around some more continuity to make room for a combined universe.

Quote:
And I don't think that the two casts would be such a major selling point either. It would appeal to the people who loved the original trilogy, for sure, but it's not really taking it out of a regular X-Men movie universe and into a major crossover thing like The Avengers. And because it is not an introductory movie I think you'd kinda need to know who the heck everybody is and what their relationships to each other are - again not like The Avengers which was an introductory movie made to be enjoyed by both the people who saw the individual films and those who didn't.
SO much this. So, so so SO much this. I was a big fan of the X-Men movies (before X3), I watched them so many times. And even *I* don't care for the idea of the two casts (I actually really don't like it). X3 was six years ago and left a rotten taste in peoples' mouths. The one everyone loves, X2, will be over a decade old by the time DOFP comes to the big screen. As I whole, I really don't think people are *excited* about the prospect of the old cast returning. I don't think they're against it, but I don't think they care either way. Not to mention, a lot of people who saw First Class never saw the old trilogy. Or care about X-Men. XMFC was excellent as an introductory movie to a new trilogy or as a standalone. It's the "Avengers" of X-Men; you can go back and watch the preceding films or not; it doesn't matter.

Combining the casts feels like DOFP is going to go in one of two directions: 1) Assume everyone has seen the old movies and recognizes the old familiar faces and their individual stories and don't pause to explain, thus alienating everyone with a short-term memory or those who never bothered with the old trilogy (which again would probably be a lot; this is, after all, a First Class sequel, not X4, and the 11 year gap means that a lot of FC's audience would have been too young for X-Men when it first came out). Here the fans win and the general audiences lose and could become frustrated wondering what the heck is going on. 2) Assume people need a refresher on the oldschool heroes, weighing down what could be a fast-paced film with explanation on characters we shouldn't have to care much about. Here the audience gets some much-needed info (so they can feel for the characters) but at the expense of speed and freshness of the film. Yknow, the freshness that was so commonly praised in First Class.

With Singer at the helm and his obvious bias in favor of Stewart, McKellen, and Jackman, I don't have high hopes of him remembering that this was always meant to be XMFC2.

Last edited by blueserenity; 11-10-2012 at 05:16 PM.
blueserenity is offline   Reply With Quote