View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #485
Sun_Down
There's No Crying in Noir

Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sentinel View Post
Alright, so a question for discussion:

Given the "Prohibition prices" of marijuana are based on the risk of lawbreaking, how much do you think those prices will go DOWN once the states set regulations for legal growth, processing and sale?

I personally think it could go down to about $20-25 an ounce, to factor in the excise tax.
It could conceivably go that low. NORML thinks it could go as low as $3/oz., which is a bit low, I think. (Side note: I don't particularly respect NORML. They don't really do anything, and I've met Paul Kuhn and think he's kind of a douche.)

Washington is expecting a cost of $12/gram, which would be about $330/oz., not counting for any bulk discount. That's basically street price, which would be a bad decision. I think a number like $100/oz. would be reasonable, and would still offer a significant discount over the street price.

But yeah, in terms of what it actually costs to produce, it could completely go as low as $25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
haha, a dime bag would weigh half an ounce instead of half a gram.

The price will go down but not that far down. The government is going to tax It like crazy.
Colorado's Amendment 64 caps the excise tax at 15%. And the license fees are very cheap ($500 initially and $100 a year thereafter, IIRC).