View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #179
Marathon
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Maria Hill/Cobie Smulders Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I think Morena would've also been more striking to look at in the film, and perhaps people might've wanted to know who she is. I felt Smulders faded a bit into the background.
Yep, Smulders, at least on the big screen, is a bit of a non-entity, which, as I said, is not good enough IF the character IS supposed to be Maria Hill.

Quote:
Maybe Whedon promised Smulders a movie, after trying to cast her as Wonder Woman a few years back. I don't think she would've been that great in that role either.
Yes. I simply think Smulders is out of her depth trying to play figures which are supposed to command either resentment and hatred (Hill) or respect and veneration (Wonder Woman), in other words, some kind of authority. She certainly didn't show any Ledger-esque ability to transform against doubts (a fluffy sitcom actress with no track record of playing badasses/mean b.....s playing Maria Hill?) and disappear into the role. Almost on the contrary. It was almost as if Avengers and HIMYM filmed side-by-side and Smulders simply changed clothes between sets.

I wonder, too, if the casting of Smulders was indeed some sort of buddy service coupled with another Whedon ego trick: "hey, I can make a limited sitcom actress an abhorrent but badass military officer!". You couldn't, so admit your mistake and either write her even more down or recast. Anything else will be pretty much insufferable.

Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote