View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #318
JackWhite
Third Man

Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
Yeah, but as a Batfan do you really want The Dark Knight Rises to get nominated on the same grounds? For the nomination of a Batman film as Best Picture to be tainted by the fact that it was the result of campaigning rather than being widely regarded as a great film that deserved it like TDK's nomination would have? That many people will regard it as an undeserved nod?

In a lot of people's opinions, including mine, Nolan screwed up. Of all of Nolan's Batman films, TDKR is the one I would have least wanted to be nominated because it is the one that screws up the Batman mythos. The more I look back upon Nolan's trilogy, the more I can't stand that he reduced Batman to a guy who fought the mob for a few months and then quit because the Joker beat him, and then a decade later came back for one last battle. Like with the ending of Mass Effect 3, i feel like TDKR taints everything that came before. It ruins the whole trilogy's meaning and significance.
But Bruce's vision of Ra's told him "You, yourself fought the decadence of Gotham for years with all your strength, all your resources, all your moral authority and the only victory you achieved was a lie. Now you understand Gotham is beyond saving and must be allowed to die."

But even if you don't like TDKR, don't be petty and let the first two films be ruined for you. I hate Spider-Man 3; yet I still adore and praise the first two films before it.