View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #897
hammerhedd11
OHaiMark

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 10

Also, another very unpopular opinion; M. Night Shyamalan was a fantastic director. Not very unpopular for The Sixth Sense, as that was generally well regarded, but I would argue he is far more than a one hit wonder.
Unbreakable is one of the best films of the last decade. Signs is a great film, and all the arguments about the "plothole" regarding the water weakness are overblown. The Village is also very underrated. I remember the general distaste towards the film upon its release was directed primarily at the twist ending and I've never heard any sufficient criticism against it other than that it basically stopped it from being a monster/horror film and turned into a drama. I found it to be a fascinating twist to be honest, and the reasoning behind it really affecting.
Now I only saw Lady in the Water once way back upon release, and I remember not being too impressed, but found it just ok. Preachy, yes, not too subtle, but horrible? No, just unremarkable compared to his prior work.
The Happening and The Last Airbender now, I mostly agree with the criticisms. The Happening was an unsuccessful attempt at creating a B-Movie, and for the most part was just boring. The Last Airbender was pretty bad, but people really get so childish in their hatred for it, because it's a beloved property.
So he's not made anything really good in almost a decade now, but I really think people undermine his past achievements. Whether he's lost his mojo or just need something that really challenges him again remains to be seen. But I think it's pretty far off to say he only got lucky in his first film. I'm really pulling for After Earth. Maybe he just needs to direct someone else's stuff.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!: