View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 03:55 AM   #344
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

I get the feeling that are great deal of why people wanted Rises to be nominated is not because it's a great movie, but because of the injustice done to the series 4 years ago. I think the vast majority of us would agree that TDK deserved nomination, you don't even have to be a Batman fan to have thought so, from a general film making perspective it's a great piece of cinema that pushed the boundaries for not just superhero films but blockbuster films in general. But it didn't get nominated. We were all pissed, and rightfully so, but life moved on.

Cut to 4 years later and Rises is unleashed and isn't nearly as polished as its predecessor, even if one takes into account a 87% RT score the reviews aren't nearly as glowing this time around, but that means little. Buzz it what matters and Rises doesn't have anywhere near as much buzz this time around, if any. Do we all not remember Oscar talk days after TDK was released? I know I read more than one 'Could TDK be Best Picture contender' type articles. Do we not recall the numerous critic award nomination and top 10 films of the year lists that TDK appeared on well before the big awards? Remember as the months went by and the so-called Oscar baited films failed to live up to their hype and suddenly the impossible dream had a genuine shot at becoming reality? Remember the outcry when TDK failed to get Directing and BP nods? Where's that talk this time around? Nowhere.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.