View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #754
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Default Re: Joss Whedon developing Marvel SHIELD series for ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
Two people who argue all the time but are also best friends/in love isn't something unique to NCIS:LA.
I think the point being made is that they are all exceptionally young (even within the context of their respective settings), they are all techies, they are all functioning as support to the more action-oriented members of their respective teams, they are all prodigies of their fields, and they bicker a lot.

That's quite a few points of similarity, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
The only real difference between a buffoon and someone quirky is how effective they are.

When you make the main character too awesome, the rest of the team becomes increasingly useless by necessity. There's only so much to do in a 44 minute show. If Gibbs/Coulson can do the vast majority of it, the rest of the cast is going to look buffoonish instead of quirky.

That said, this isn't a problem that Joss Whedon and Co have.
I don't really think that's the case with NCIS either. Every character on the show is shown to be extremely competent at their jobs. In fact, one of the criticisms I sometimes hear being levelled at NCIS is how such an experienced and competent team is still together instead of each member being promoted onto their own team.