View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #74
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator
Default Re: Return of the Jedi Appreciation Thread

Originally Posted by steintym View Post
As a kid I just couldn't wait to see all of characters back together again. I think I was in 2nd grade when ESB came out and as a little kid, how it ended was quite the mind ****. The beginning of ROTJ was so exciting to me because of that.
I was 6 when ESB came out, and I had no idea about the whole "I am your father" scene until I saw the movie. I actually thought the whole reason Vader was so obsessed with finding Luke Skywalker was because he was still mad at him for blowing up the Death Star. Like I said, I was 6.

I've read that one of the reasons Lucas left that as a cliffhanger was so kids who were frightened of Vader could leave thinking it might not be true. I was totally one of those kids...Darth Vader scared the crap out of me when I was that age, so I refused to entertain the notion that he could actually be Luke's father. I didn't know any other kids who thought it was true, either.

But I remember seeing a commercial for ROTJ a few weeks before it came out, and by then I was almost 9, and they showed the scene where Luke asked Yoda if Vader was his father.

And that was the moment I realized it was true. No idea why, but I knew it then.

”We signed a treaty with a king whose head is now in basket.
Would you like to take it out and ask it?
’Should we honor our treaty, King Louis’ head?’
‘Uh, do whatever you want, I’m super-dead!’"
danoyse is offline   Reply With Quote