View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #106
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I think the character choices for First Class were based on who they could feature in a 1960s setting (rather than on who was left to use). That rules out Cyclops, Jean, Storm and many others.

I feel sure Angel Salvadore was a Vaughn choice. I recall he had wanted a female Angel in The Last Stand, and the fans all (quite rightly) went berserk and said it should be Warren Worthington instead, so he finally got his wish this time. They also needed a flying baddie for Banshee to go up against. In addition, we hadn't seen an insect-winged mutant before, so she provided something new and different. And maybe they wanted to do it before Marvel introduced Wasp - that's pure speculation on my part.

In the comics, Darwin was part of an early team even before Thunderbird arrived, as revealed in Deadly Genesis. And he has a sacrificial role, rather like Thunderbird.

But I do think Angel and Riptide were odd choices for the first Brotherhood. They were, however, chosen to fit the requirements of the story rather than fit what is expected because of the comics.

The first Brotherhood in the comics had Toad (already seen in X1), Mastermind (loosely adapted as Stryker's son in X2), Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch (both of whom would have been good additions, for sure, and far better choices than Angel and Riptide).
But you know that wasn't gonna happen so they did what they had to do.

Dr Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote