View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #78
LegendAssemble
Banned User

Default Re: Return of the Jedi Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
If there is one flaw that I even noticed as a kid, it was this: Han didn't really have an arc in this one. He was active, but his role was lesser here than in ESB and ANH. And to me, it hurted RotJ to a certain degree. Now i know he's not the focal point of the narrative, but a Plot B with Han would've been nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
Yup. They gave him nothing to do.
Thats because he was supposed to die, twice. First they weren't sure if Han would return for Jedi (haha pun) and they planned for him to die in the carbon freeze and replace him with Lando. Then after Harrison agreed they decided he survives, but was scheduled to die in the next film because has Kurtz and Ford felt "he had nowhere left to go". However Lucas had a change of heart even making the slightly humorous statement "I don't think I can sell too many dead Han toys". So his death was written out of Jedi. Lando was supposed to take his role for that movie (The reason he's flying the Falcon into battle and not Han in the first place).

The biggest flaw of Return of the Jedi IMO is that it has the production values of a made for TV movie. Lucas's personal life had been ruined and he was left with his kids he just wanted to be done with Star Wars and as a result it doesn't have that passion the first two did. Perhaps this is why the Luke vs Vader scenes had so much more emotion than the rest of the film, perhaps Lucas too realized he was becoming his father as well.

LegendAssemble is offline   Reply With Quote