View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #264
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Default Re: "You ready for another Bout?"- The Thor/Chris Hemsworth Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizah72 View Post
Something interesting I've been considering. There is a bus on the new set pics with a movie clearly titled "Moral Sacrifice" advertised on it. This is very very likely something that is a hint as to what is in store for Thor to deal with in Thor 2. I would be very very surprised if it wasn't. How do you think that "moral sacrifice" might influence the story for Thor in Thor 2?

And I dont believe it's just a random movie title, "self sacrifice" was clearly a theme for Thor in Thor 1, so seems like a story about "moral sacrifice" is a likely follow up. My theory with some recent spoilers so tags...

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
at the moment the theory I have, explains why Thor is alone fighting the Dark Elves and Malekith in these new scenes filming now. If he is asked by Odin to let the Dark Elves have Midgard, because there is so much bad going on in Asgard and the other realms. With the fighting in Bourne Woods shown a while back, it seems like there may be another non elf army threatening everyone else as well, and so it's seen as "for the greater good" that Thor just stay on fighting for Asgard and to help fight off this army, and ignore for now what happens to Midgard. But this is not a "moral sacrifice" Thor can accept. He vowed to defend Midgard and wont stand by and let it be taken over or destroyed, and so he deserts Asgard willingly, and defies father again, and goes down to defend Earth against the Dark Elves anyway. This would certainly make Odin less likely to make him King if he seems he's more invested in saving and protecting another realm than staying and defending Asgard and getting the other threat back under control. but at the same time, I can't see Thor doing any less than trying to defend Earth in such a situation. So... thoughts?
Elizah, make sure you save this comment I am about write, or take a picture of it, cause it doesn't happen often. But I agree with you I like this idea lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Maid View Post
I think it's more likely to be an Easter Egg, ie, a hidden cute inside reference placed there to wink at fans like us. In Thor1, Easter Eggs included the following: the water tank in the background when Thor is walking up to the Destroyer reads "Home of the Vikings". On a billboard that Jane and Co. can see when they're sitting on the roof of Smith Motors reads "New Mexico, Land of Enchantment. . .Journey into Mystery".

Not to say that it can't be more significant, as you suggest. I just think it's less likely.

Now, to argue the "pro" side of the case: I recall reading that they (whoever "they" are) have planned to have all the heroes struggle with what transpired in The Avengers. They would all be processing the implications. Yes, they saved the world, but a lot of bystanders were hurt. I heard that in IM3, they would specifically discuss (a) bystander(s) that died. The heroes have to come to terms with that. In The Avengers, we see Thor ruminating on how the Asgardians are the ones who have caused all this trouble. That may continue to weigh on his mind.

I can make some general comments about what elizah says behind the spoiler button, before I get to specifics.

When I was thinking about her post, I realized I wasn't quite certain what "moral sacrifice" meant to people. I did a quick Google, and found a couple of different meanings. Generally, it means the sacrifice of one's morals (duh), but there are all sorts of different sacrifices and all sorts of different morals. So they can go in any of a number of different directions with this. It's rich in possibilities, and it's another reason why this movie could be really terrific (if indeed they incorporate this element). I think we'll have a hard time anticipating what such a moral sacrifice they might have in mind, though, because there are so many possibilities.

I have the impression that Odin in the books would give this order. I'm not as certain that Odin in the movies would. So I'm not certain this exact dilemma would be set up. On the other hand, it would add weight to the iconic "For Asgard!"/"For Midgard!"/"For Myself!" climax with Surtur in the Simonson arc.

So does this mean I'm going to have to add Ultimates Thor to my (ever longer) reading list?
The Iconic
for asgard/midgard/myself
moment HAS to happen

Especially if the movie is setting up several character arcs that can lead for a loki redemption. as I said before, Loki's redemption should be against surtur. The movie is based off the run. In the run, that is loki's remption. It is logical for the movie too, not only cause its what happens in the arc this movie is based off of, but it just simply makes sense. This one demon comes in and loki finally redeems himself. I for one can't wait to see a throw down with Odin, Thor, and Loki vs Surtur

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Maid View Post
Well, I looked at the pages again, and it doesn't look like the word is being used as onomatopoeia (hooray! I got to use that word in conversation once in my life!) for the hammer connecting with the work, but rather the narrator's comment on the implication of Surtur's forging Twilight.

But I agree with the idea you put forward--have some cutaways several times to a big figure forging something, we hear the sound shake the theater, and we are filled with dread. Definitely start the film with one of those.

I think it definitely would be in keeping with the spirit of Simonson's presentation.
I love it.

If surtur is saved for 3, have those random dooms throughout the movie haha