View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #257
American Maid
Side-Kick

Default Re: "You ready for another Bout?"- The Thor/Chris Hemsworth Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizah72 View Post
Something interesting I've been considering. There is a bus on the new set pics with a movie clearly titled "Moral Sacrifice" advertised on it. This is very very likely something that is a hint as to what is in store for Thor to deal with in Thor 2. I would be very very surprised if it wasn't. How do you think that "moral sacrifice" might influence the story for Thor in Thor 2?

And I dont believe it's just a random movie title, "self sacrifice" was clearly a theme for Thor in Thor 1, so seems like a story about "moral sacrifice" is a likely follow up. My theory with some recent spoilers so tags...

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
at the moment the theory I have, explains why Thor is alone fighting the Dark Elves and Malekith in these new scenes filming now. If he is asked by Odin to let the Dark Elves have Midgard, because there is so much bad going on in Asgard and the other realms. With the fighting in Bourne Woods shown a while back, it seems like there may be another non elf army threatening everyone else as well, and so it's seen as "for the greater good" that Thor just stay on fighting for Asgard and to help fight off this army, and ignore for now what happens to Midgard. But this is not a "moral sacrifice" Thor can accept. He vowed to defend Midgard and wont stand by and let it be taken over or destroyed, and so he deserts Asgard willingly, and defies father again, and goes down to defend Earth against the Dark Elves anyway. This would certainly make Odin less likely to make him King if he seems he's more invested in saving and protecting another realm than staying and defending Asgard and getting the other threat back under control. but at the same time, I can't see Thor doing any less than trying to defend Earth in such a situation. So... thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
That would be interesting and great to see if it did happen.

I always did think that there might be something that happens in this film that will cause Thor to leave Asgard by the end of the film and stay on Earth which would allow him to become more established as a hero on Earth to its inhabitants and that we wouldn't have to wait to see Thor appear on screen once the Avengers 2 came out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizah72 View Post
That is another excellent point. This scenario might allow him to do that in a way that makes sense.

and not to make it about Loki (as some of you know I often do ) but....

wouldn't it be a major surprising twist if in the process of all of this, Thor loses favor with Odin, and Loki on the other hand stays and fights for Asgard and gains Odin's favor and approval finally?
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Maid View Post
I have the impression that Odin in the books would give this order. I'm not as certain that Odin in the movies would. So I'm not certain this exact dilemma would be set up. On the other hand, it would add weight to the iconic "For Asgard!"/"For Midgard!"/"For Myself!" climax with Surtur in the Simonson arc.

So does this mean I'm going to have to add Ultimates Thor to my (ever longer) reading list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
Elizah, make sure you save this comment I am about write, or take a picture of it, cause it doesn't happen often. But I agree with you I like this idea lol
@herolee10, @Jon(Aqua) (Anyone else is welcome to weigh in, too.):
Do you think comics-Odin would give the order elizah suggests, to abandon the defense of Midgard in favor of the defense of Asgard? Do you think movie-Odin would give such an order? (elizah: I assume you have a no opinion on comics-Odin and obviously have a position on movie-Odin )

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
The Iconic
for asgard/midgard/myself
moment HAS to happen

Especially if the movie is setting up several character arcs that can lead for a loki redemption. as I said before, Loki's redemption should be against surtur. The movie is based off the run. In the run, that is loki's remption. It is logical for the movie too, not only cause its what happens in the arc this movie is based off of, but it just simply makes sense. This one demon comes in and loki finally redeems himself. I for one can't wait to see a throw down with Odin, Thor, and Loki vs Surtur

I love it.

If surtur is saved for 3, have those random dooms throughout the movie haha
I agree. It could be a huge cliffhanger!

This exiled-Thor idea is growing me. So if Thor is outcast (um, again) and living on Earth at the end of T:TDW:
1. That's another cliffhanger--how will he reconcile with Asgard given that they surely will need him for Surtur.
2.As I said, it adds power to Thor's declaration, "For Midgard!", in the iconic moment.
3. I've always felt having Surtur show up at the end of Thor2 would make the movie overstuffed, and cheat all the fights in the rush to get through the whole story. But there were two things I hadn't figured out about the alternative: a) what would fill out the rest of Thor3 and b) what would keep knowledgeable fans curious? I mean, if it's *just* the Surtur fight, everyone who's read the Simonson arc will know exactly what to expect, and there's no suspense.

Maybe this idea addresses all of these aspects.

Ooo! <shiver>

Apologies to those avoiding spoilers for putting most of this behind spoiler buttons.

American Maid is offline   Reply With Quote