View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 07:07 AM   #152
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
He should have tried something. He obviously believes in that. Hes not giving up on the others.

I thought saying "you should go with him" Was a pretty lame line set up just to get Raven on the other side . Like I said I think Mcavoy sells it but in the grand scheme of Prof X its out of character imo. Raven I just didnt dig in this movie, I get her point but its too far from Mystique and they try to rush that last connection to X1 at the end. I think it would have been better if if they held off till the next flick for her to switch sides. Well see, hopefully they make her more of a lethal chick.
I don't think Xavier is the sort of person to try hard to persuade people to change their minds in that way. Except if they are a danger (like Jean Grey, as revealed in X3). He didn't do anything to stop Rogue going for the cure. There are many times he could forcibly do things to influence people but he doesn't. He's an idealist and a pacifist.

The films present Xavier and Magneto having strong ideologies but not directly making people join their cause. They simply hope, like political leaders also do, that their stance will strike a chord in people and get followers that way.

If Mystique had stayed with Xavier and helped nurse him, it would then seem equally controversial/cruel for her to then desert him for Magneto in the next film. The script would have to include an awful mega-moment for that to happen, like she finds out Xavier is tampering with her mind or something really terrible. But it's hard to see that. Staying to care for Charles would make deserting him for Magneto even less likely an option than it may seem to some people at the end of First Class.