View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 06:02 AM   #159
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
Just gotta disagree with your last point there-- tumblr is full of XMFC love, but the Mystique leaving Charles behind bit is quite widely detested as being a poor rushed film job.

I have mixed feelings about it. I used to hate it and deem it a sloppy way to make FC hook up with X1 if they didn't make enough money for a sequel. I still kind of do. But enough reflection on the character made me realize that her leaving Charles kind of made sense. I get the impression that she has never been far out of his sight, a decision that seems to be much more Charles' than hers. Magneto is offering her a chance to make her own choices and live independently as she wishes, and as far as she knows it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

There is no way that she (or Erik for that matter) knew that Charles was paralyzed. Her guilt would have made her stay with him, just for a little while. Someone in this thread said they couldn't see her tending to him, but I could. She doesn't hate him, at all. She resents her restrictions, but she still loves Charles dearly. Assuming it was a fleshwound made it much easier for her to leave him.

I also think Charles finally understood why she needed what Erik was offering and really did WANT her to go because he wanted her to be happy. He's also not the type of person who would ask her to stay; it's too selfish of him.

It will be interesting to see what happens between now and X1 that causes her to hate him so much. Pretending like "this" was the thing is lazy storytelling.
I don't attach any significance to tumblr to be honest. I meant offline altogether, more like the people in the real world, outside the geek bubble.

I agree it's a point for discussion, and there certainly was a lot of consequence packed into that final scene - Xavier and Magneto split, Xavier was paralysed, Mystique joined the Brotherhood. (The only thing I really didn't like was the way Magneto swatted away the bullet that hit Charles, the visual didn't sit right with me, but that's another quibble altogether).

The whole film was building the idea of Mystique's frustration and needing to be with her own kind. The scene in the bar with Xavier and the mutant-eyed girl, the conversations with Hank and then with Erik, her insecurity being so strong that she leapt into Erik's bed when he said the right thing.

The beach scene was a 'now or never' moment, her chance to be free and to truly be herself. I don't think she hates him though, but there is a way to go before she becomes the Mystique of X1.

Singer, Vaughn and the others chose for Mystique to be this way in First Class, so they have a responsibility to show how she got to be the way we saw in X1-X3. They can't just cop out now. They shouldn't have chosen to portray young Mystique in this way if they couldn't follow it through.