View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #638
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanBeyond View Post
No thanks. Don't subscribe to that particular viewpoint.
I'll bet you don't since it would hurt your argument. But I'm afraid we'll have to anyway since you insist on pushing this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by batfreakforever View Post
The problems that the viewer has for the film lies with the viewer, not the film itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
You keep trying to convince yourself and others that the film wasn't good.

Facts are facts.

You lose....stop whining like a teenager and crying like a baby please, just because you didn't get the Bat film YOU personally wanted to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
So funny to read detailed misinterpretations. Ultimately cringe-worthy.

What i've actually understand now is how a lot of people didn't understand TDK ending , and Bruce sacrifice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
If TDKR was a let down then you guys have really high standards.
I also have some nice samples of moderators having to interject and silence some of these trolling remarks, too, if you like?

Quote:
So you might want to take a closer look when making claims such as "the only ones doing the belittling..." (and those are just three quotes in a 26 page thread). Not to mention you even acknowledged one of the above posters earlier in the thread, so you're either being intentionally ignorant or a hypocrite.
Ok, lets break down the three quotes you've supplied;

The Guard's post was based on people making up hypothetical scenarios that were not even in the movie or supported by events and quotes in the movie. Go back and look at the context of the discussion before you take his post out of context. What he said was perfectly valid. People were basically conjecturing with fairy tales.

MAKAVELI25's is the exact same.

Fudgie's was in response to the defenders telling US that the criticisms made against the movie were only "in our minds". This happened in several threads. Hence why he used their own quote against one of them.

Quote:
The belittling takes place on both sides, whether you want to admit it or not.
Oh there's belittling on both sides, no question, but 90% of any belittling remarks usually come in response to those who have been belittled in the first place.

I'll tell you something else, the belittling remarks from the defenders are far more vitriolic. I mean have you seen any name calling going on from the critics, or saying something so asinine as the movie had no problems, the problem is with the viewers?

I've never seen any moderators have to step in and tell any of the critics off before for going too far. But I have with the defenders.

Quote:
It always does in debates such as this. But it's clear you don't like some particular aspects of TDKR, which is perfectly fine because: 1. it's your opinion and 2. you raise some valid points and are not the only one. I myself was disappointed with some aspects, especially immediately after seeing the movie, but I have managed to reconcile some of them in the meanwhile (not saying you should as well). But the reasons for which TDKR disappointed some of us are probably a subject for a different thread.
But this is a thread which pertains to an aspect of the movie that disappointed some people, namely the characterization of Batman. It didn't sit well with many people that Nolan decided to retire Batman for 8 years after TDK. So naturally it would be raised in a thread like this.

Quote:
What I don't understand is this: why is it such a big deal when some people want to see aspects that you didn't like about this movie in a positive light? I mean, it's not like they're trying to see something positive in cinematic abominations such as Twilight or Transformers, which everyone seems to dislike.
Who says it's a big deal? Why do you see it as a big deal because someone posts an opinion on a public DISCUSSION message board, and people disagree with it? That's what these forums are for. Discussion.

This isn't the TDKR fan club. There's going to be critics and detractors as much as there will be fans of it.

Quote:
This is Chris Nolan's Bat trilogy, one of the best trilogies in recent memory. Is it your disappointment with TDKR or is it something else? Because during my time on these forums I've consistently noticed this trend. And I understand that Nolan's take just wasn't everybody's cup of tea, but what's the issue with it being anyone else's?
I can't speak for all of the critics and detractors of this movie, I can only speak for myself. My disappointment of the movie comes from several of the creative choices made in the movie. Certain contradictions to the previous movie, such as the LOS motive for killing Gotham when it was in peace time. Under use of characters like Alfred and Gordon. Too much time spent with less interesting characters like Foley and Blake. Not enough time spent with characters who needed more screen time like Selina and Miranda. Bad plot points like Blake simply recognizing Bruce is Batman from a look on his face.

I could go on but that's just a sampling. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed TDKR very much, and I am hopeful when I watch it again on blu-ray in a couple of weeks I'll have an even greater appreciation for it. It's happened to me before. It's happening with fans for The Amazing Spider-Man. A lot of them have loved it even more since it was released recently. A lot of dramatic changes in opinion.

I noticed it here with some people, too, regarding TDKR since it leaked on-line a day or so ago. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed, because I adore BB and TDK. Especially TDK. My favorite comic book movie. I consider it a masterpiece.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 11-17-2012 at 10:14 AM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote