View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #283
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Default Re: Skyfall vs. TDKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Part 2...

Now to clarify I don't agree with every single aspect of this article, such as Bruce getting a happy ever after is not really suited to his character. I didn't mind that at all, and I loved that Bruce did end up with Selina because out of all the Batman love interests, I think Selina is the 'one' he would end up with.
This entire article misses the point that these characters are evolving throughout the series. At the end of TDK they THINK the noble lie is what they need to be successful, only to realize that the sham that allowed a much more rigorous crime policy was not the right course of action. Sometimes you need to face the truth and let it "have it's day." TDK is only the second chapter of the journey, so while some of the thematic elements hold true for the characters at that moment, it is not necessarily a static idea throughout the entire trilogy.

IE in TDKR, Alfred only ASSUMES Bane's methods were too radical for Ra's. He's wrong, as Talia later explains. Just because a character says something does not mean he's right about it or that ti's a universal truth from then on, it's a reflection of the characters' at that moment. And unlike what Guard posted, I find this personal motivation to be key to the parallel to Bruce. All of these characters are driven to extreme actions because of intense personal anguish, and loss of loved ones that drive them to obsession. Only Bruce comes out of the situation being truly free of the guilt of their pasts (I guess Talia probably dies thinking she has as well).