View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #369
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Therein lies the problem with the Academy and their overall hypocritical and disrespectful views on the comic book film genre in general.

Sci Fi Fantasy type movies like Avatar can be nominated in multiple categories and even in the Best Picture category as well as a Fantasy movie like the Lord of the Rings films can end up being nominated in multiple categories and even end up winning Best Picture, along with an Action/War Drama film (TDKR is an action/ urban war film) like Gladiator can be recognized and even win Best Picture, but the last two Dark Knight films are snubbed because they are comic book genre films??

Utterly hypocritical and disrespectful toward the comic book genre of films and especially toward the last two Dark Knight Batman films.

The Academy has serious issues to get over.
I did not know Cronenberg said that. He does know that A History of Violence (his best film in the last 20 years) was based on a comic book, right? Oh excuse me, "graphic novel."

I do agree with the notion that a superhero is juvenile in its inception, but that does not mean it cannot be elevated to something more. I wouldn't argue The Avengers should be recognized for Best Picture, but I think The Dark Knight was the best film of 2008 and The Dark Knight Rises is certainly one of the 10 best movies of 2012 (though not near the top, IMO).

But I am not surprised by such snobbery. It took forever for LOTR to be recognized. And I think the only horror film to be recognized was Black Swan, because it was about ballet and the acting and images were astounding. Still, it is surprising to hear Cronenberg be the voice of such narrow-mindedness. This is a man who spent much of his early career trying, and usually succeeding, in elevating horror into art with movies like The Fly and The Dead Zone. Horror is in itself a mass consumed genre that usually aims for the lowest denominator. But I doubt he would speak so lowly of films that have elevated it, including his own.

That is very surprising.

--John Adams