View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #76
ThePhantasm
Feedin' the Wampa

Default Re: In hindsight what changes would you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Love or father-figures, I think a lot of male fans hate seeing villains or heroes being obligated or in a relationship of any sort with female characters. It "weakens" them. That is why almost all love interests are despised on fan boards or why, for example, comic writers felt compelled to get rid of MJ in the Spidey comics. I do not know why this is, but it is the tone in the community.
Yeah, I don't understand it either. I also don't understand the leaps in logic that are made about Talia and Bane's relationship. Maybe they are in love. Maybe he is a father figure for her (the film doesn't seem to support one theory over another). Is Talia the boss? Is Bane the boss? Are they equal in authority? Any of those three would fit the film fine and make plenty of sense. But no, everyone jumps to "Bane was in love with Talia, who is really his boss, gah he's just a lovesick puppy and not a badass!" Wow, these people can tell a lot from one scene where Talia and Bane hardly even speak to one another.

Throughout the film, the picture we get of Talia is of someone who works from the shadows... the crafty slow knife... the deep undercover deciever. The picture we get of Bane is brute force... intimidating strength... charismatic leadership. Just look at all of the speeches Bane gives throughout the film. Just look at how he schools Daggett on real power. This guy isn't just a lackey for anyone. I don't see how the Talia reveal suddenly erases all those depictions of true villainous strength.

Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | H.E.