View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 11:19 PM   #97
The Guard
Side-Kick

Default Re: In hindsight what changes would you do

Quote:
Why is it so obvious that what Bane is doing is just "cover" for making Bruce suffer? Where do you see that in the film? (I'm not asking that to be insulting, I really am curious)
Because there's a scene in the movie where Bane actually says to Bruce that all the things he's doing in Gotham amounts to hooey and that he's basically biding his time and killing people until he blows Gotham up...and that he wants Gotham to suffer so Bruce will suffer.

Why does he want Bruce to suffer? Who the hell knows? We're not shown or told why until the end of the film when it turns out that Bane wants Bruce to suffer because Talia wanted him to suffer.

Quote:
It is possible to have multiple motivations. How is destroying Gotham and its corruption a thinner motivator than any other Nolan Batman villain motivation?
Crane: enjoys playing with people's fears. Thought Ra's was going to ransom the city. Ra's: Wanted to bring "justice" to Gotham by destroying it (same as Bane and Talia).
"The villain's plot" is not what I mean by motivation. I'm talking about what drives the character and motivates their actions, not the villainous actions they wish to take. Frankly, you're right, on the surface, none of Nolan's villains have had terribly interesting or deep motivations, though the exploration of them and where they come from was certainly handled better in previous films than it was in The Dark Knight Rises.

And I don't just mean "thin" in the sense that they're thin as motivations...but in that they're thinly written and executed.

Quote:
Here's the problem here, in my opinion: people are taking one scene about Bane (the Talia reveal) and making it the all-powerful interpretative key to understanding every scene before it.
That's because, based on the film's content, that's apparently what the filmmakers intended. They parcel out bits about the characters that don't really amount to anything except a building "mystery" until that key scene dumps reveal after reveal on the audience about who is who and where they came from and why they do what they're doing.

Quote:
But in doing so they are shifting the weight from what we were definitively shown before (Bane's strength, resolve, passion, fervor, etc.) to what they suppose is going on in the Talia reveal scene (oh no Talia is really in charge, Bane is just a lackey!).
No one has said that Bane loses any of his strength, passion, resolve or
fervor...people seem to still very much enjoy Bane's basics. People have simply pointed out that the film suddenly makes it apparent that he's doing what he's doing for rather the thinnest and underdeveloped of reasons. Instead of the reasons the movie pretended to develop, which Bane himself had already revealed to be a ruse.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night