View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #764
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Default Re: Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
Well... there are so many unfixable discrepancies between First Class and the original trilogy that one more thing is not going to make a difference. Good continuity at this point is not an option. If they are in fact trying to explicitly connect FC with X1-X3, the end result will be a mess in any case, so I can't get too bothered about who built Cerebro when there's a howler like Charles walking upright in the X3 flashback.

IMO the most sensible thing would be to just keep going with the idea of FC as a loose prequel and its own thing (which I think is possible if they go with the alternate future timeline rather than post-X3 future in DoFP. As far as I'm aware no one actually involved in the project said yet that DoFP is also a sequel to X3 or X2).

I don't think that Charles and Erik would have had time to start working on Cerebro in First Class. If I remember right they only had a week at the mansion and all of their energies seem to have gone into the training before the showdown with Shaw. That was the absolute priority. Squeezing in something as time-consuming and huge as Cerebro and dividing the attention and energy doesn't make sense to me. Charles building Cerebro as soon as he decides on the school does, and it's just such an important aspect of his powers I'd find it weird if it wasn't in the movie at all.

Speaking of discrepancies, this whole exchange actually doesn't make much sense after FC. One, Charles would know exactly why he can't find Magneto because Magneto only had that helmet for like 40 years, so Charles not knowing how Magneto can shield himself does not make sense. Two, he seems to imply here that Magneto is able to shield himself from Cerebro because he knows how it works and would therefore be able to find some way to block it because of this insider knowledge. When in fact Magneto simply inherited the helmet from someone else and his knowledge or lack of knowledge of Cerebro had absolutely nothing to do with it.

You could of course try and say something like, oh Charles just chose to hide the truth from Logan (for what purpose?), but really it's just another indication of how FC was only meant to connect loosely with the trilogy.
I agreee it's seeming more and more likely we can only expect loose continuity with the existing X-Men films. That's a great pity if they are trying to build a shared universe.

I only hope that the films now being made - such as the First Class franchise - have some internal continuity and consistency. But even that's looking unlikely with different writers and directors involved.

Why don't they sit down and map out the franchise, deciding which films, stories and characters they want to do? It would seem a no-brainer.

As it is, the existing vague thinking just gives more and more fuel to the Marvel Studios fanatics so they can spread their poison across the internet. There were online campaigns warning people not to see X-Men: First Class, with fanboys boasting how they had persuaded family, friends and co-workers not to see the film, and I don't see things improving if there aren't greater efforts at proper continuity, at least from this point onwards.

Last edited by X-Maniac; 11-19-2012 at 10:43 AM.