View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #109
ThePhantasm
Feedin' the Wampa

Default Re: In hindsight what changes would you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
He just IS evil. Why? Who the hell knows?
He just IS a terrorist. Why? Who the hell knows?
Yeah, that Joker isn't very fleshed out... oh wait, we are talking about Bane. I forgot.

In the Nolan movies, most of the villains function as forces of nature / archetypal figures. The Joker and Bane are both Satanic sort of archvillain figures who attempt to push the hero to his limits and destroy him ("speak of the devil..."). They seemingly come out of nowhere, are both animalistic (Joker is a "mad dog," Bane a growling, muzzled beast). Nolan isn't making a Sam Raimi Spider-Man film here (not knocking those, btw). The story here isn't as focused on the villains. It is the effect that they have upon the hero and how he overcomes them that matters in the film. Even Talia is simply a force of nature in a way - she is the cutting betrayal that comes out of nowhere for Bruce, albeit too late in the story to be really effective IMO.

See, I don't have to know all this stuff about Bane, just like I didn't have to for the Joker. It isn't necessary in order for Bane to be an effective villain, in my opinion.

Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | H.E.