View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #105
American Maid
Side-Kick

Default Re: Plot ideas based on SPOILERS (general discussion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer View Post
Your welcome, and it is probably more wrong then right, but I at least had fun doing it.
That's good!

I see I'm late to the party and you guys have already compared comics-Yggdrasil to movie-Yggdrasil.

Quote:
about Loki in Muspelheim if Surtur is going to be launched as an attack in the first act on the Asgardian planetoid (to provide the distraction for Malekith invading earth), who better to warn Odin of the threat then Loki (who would like nothing more then to have the opportunity to gain his fathers good favor and to be able to continue his manipulations without being hindered). So, I decided banishment to Muspellheim could work given where he would be in the film during the first Act (being punished) and more or less where he would need to be to learn of the events. I don't know if it's a great solution, but it's what I came up with.
Okay. I like how Loki's punishment manuvers him into a position where he has leverage again I think tricksters tend to get that kind of luck.

Now, from Odin's perspective, why Muspelheim? With regard to Thor's banishment, he probably figured, Midgard is pretty backwater. They can't harm him, and without his powers, he can't do much damage either. So it's a realively save place to park him so he can have his time-out. Muspelheim is a little bit more trecherous, though. What is Odin's endgame? Is it to cause Loki to suffer? To keep him from harming the cosmos? To give him a situation where he would be challenged and have to reflect on his past behavior? (This was the effect that Thor's inability to lift Mjolnir in the film had, of course).

Quote:
In addition I would like to comment that I thought we had gotten confirmation that all 9 realms are suppose to be shown in this film, because I hear several people stating that it is too much. If it has not been confirmed then perhaps they are right and we will not see Alfheim or Vanaheim in this film. However, I was under the impression confirmation of all 9 realms being shown was made, and if that is the case in my version it would actually still be missing realms that require explaining.
I had heard that, and I wonder the same thing. <shrug>

But if you want more realms than can fit in a film, well, we can just think of this as your version of the story

Maybe elizah72 can help me with that, as she is good at filling in the gaps and thinking outside the box.

Quote:
As for why I didn't show Algrim's transformation into Kurse. Plain and simple just felt it would take up to much time seeing Algrim battle Thor, having him be betrayed by Malekith, having him loose his memory of what actually happened, turn into Kurse blaming Thor, have him return to battle Thor, have him regain his memory, and have him kill Malekith. I just think if someone looses there memory it is generally a slow process for someone to regain it. Which is fine in comics, because Kurse can be searching for Thor and have many battles with him through 100's of comics before coming to the realization that Thor was not responsible and then go after Malekith and kill him. However, in a movie where Malekith and the Dark elves are invading earth you can't have it seem like he has lost his memory for a long duration. So, I changed aspects of the character to fit with the flow of the story I created trying to leave elements of the character intact when possible.
However, as I have said many times previously I am all for sticking with the character origins, so if they can figure out a way to do it and fit it within the context of the film without it feeling forced then that's what I would like to see.
Fair enough.

Here's an idea to address the memory thing: maybe the amnesia is some sort of spell. Then it can be broken and Kurse gets a flood of memories back, and realize that it is Malekith that he should go after!

Quote:
As for your comment about Thor being weaker against magic, some might consider Thor's ability to call upon lightning as a magic of sorts. However, I would agree Thor is a warrior mostly and he can stand up to some of the strongest physical characters in the Marvel Universe and it would make sense that he does not fair as well against characters of a magical nature like his brother Loki or Malekith. So, yeah I am really looking forward to this battle of might vs. magic, especially since with Loki you always feel like Thor is holding back some because it's his brother, but with Malekith the battle should be brutal and unrelenting.
You're right--the lightning is a magical ability. It seems like people were saying that Thor isn't as capable against a magic-using opponent. But maybe he's able to overcome magical attacks sheerly through his toughness.

Quote:
As for your comments about Thor deserting Asgard and his choice being responsible for lots of destruction. Yeah, I think that you and elizah72 are absolutely correct about the moral sacrifice tease on the side of the bus and what it most likely means for Thor and Asgard. So, basically built from there.
Well, to give credit where it is due, Elizah put the idea forward first. My first response was skepticism, that it probably was an Easter Egg. But I also like big philosophical themes in movies, and this idea works very well with the other things we've heard. So now I've climbed aboard that bus

Quote:
Regarding why I choose not to kill off Odin. Well 2 reasons. I really like having Odin be the ruler and most powerful Asgardian, because if you kill off Odin and Thor takes on the Odinforce then his battles with Loki and most other villians like the Enchantress, or the Executioner would be very one sided battles in favor of Thor. In order for the movies to continue to be enjoyable I would say he needs to keep his battles more evenly matched. In addition the movie requires someone to defeat Surtur, and even if someone said well Thor with the Odinforce could do it, well to me it would not be enough. Odin has had his powers for a long period of time and has had a chance to know how to use his powers, so in my opinion Thor with the Odin force (just being given the powers) would not be as powerful as Odin himself, and even Odin is struggling to battle with Surtur. So, I don't think Thor could stop Surtur even with the Odinforce if it was just newly given to him.
That's a good reason!

Well, thanks again. I wish I could come up with something. I feel like I'm benefiting from everyone else's work without pitching in myself.

American Maid is offline   Reply With Quote