View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #475
elizah72
Side-Kick

Default Re: Tom Hiddleston: Loki Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I'm 101% sure that "Moral Sacrifice" applies to the hero, not the villain. It will have nothing to do with Loki's story arc, and everything to do with Thor's.
I agree with that, plus Loki's morals are highly questionable/speculative at this point so might be hard to pull off for that reason.

However, that does not mean that other characters might have to face other moral sacrifices. BUt the big one will be Thor's

Quote:
Make no mistake: any "redemption" Loki displays in this movie will be purely for show, to weasel out of whatever punishment Odin inflicts upon him for his many, many, many crimes of genocide, slavery, and treason.
I'm just curious, how many Frost Giants do you suppose Thor killed when he went to Jotunheim and started gleefully killing them? I lost count when he brought down the lightning to cause a crack in the ice and they were all running away and falling into the resulting chasm. How many Jotun young do you suppose might have fallen into that chasm? And other innocent spectators curious about what these terrible Asgardian's looked like and were simply bystanders. Could easily have killed his friends and brother there too. Sure. They are all a lot stronger than humans, but going into their lair with the intention to subjugate them by intimidation and brute force is really not at all far from what Loki did in Avengers. Not at all.

THOR: March into Jotunheim as you once did, teach them a lesson, break their spirits so they'll never dare try to cross our borders again! (subjugation through brutality and fear)

(when Odin arrives just in time on Jotunheim)
THOR: Father! We'll finish them together! (Hm. Sounds kind of like he has genocide on his mind there to me )

Back on the bifrost
Thor: The Jotuns must learn to fear me, just as they once feared you. (once again, subjugation through brutality and fear)

Odin: You are a vain, greedy, cruel boy! (sound like he's describing someone else we know circa Avengers?)... you are unworthy of the loved ones you have betrayed. (betrayal = treason, so what Thor did going down there and violating the truce and starting a war, was a form of treason in Odin's eye )

LOKI: What is this new found love for the Frost Giants? You, who would have killed them all with your bare hands. (Genocide)

And we must not forget Kid Thor's: When I'm king, I'll hunt the monsters down and slay them all! Just as you did father. (again, already thinking about committing genocide on the frost giants, and so young. )

And Thor has this type of behavior in his personality for 1000 years? How many innocent bystanders likely died due to his hot headed warring ways? How many wars were started because of his hot uncontrollable temper that didnt need to be started. This was clearly his personality for 1000 years, whereas Loki's was as we saw it at the beginning of Thor 1, for 1000 years. So whose personality do you suppose is more likely to be set in stone as nasty and vicious and warlike after all that time? Hm?

THOR: I've changed.

LOKI: So have I.

I could write a whole long thing about Black Widow in regards to this change from bad to good as well, but my point is hopefully coming across without it.

And...hey, for the record I really like Thor, I really like Black Widow, I have no problem that they are good guys, and they changed. But when people come in and say that Loki is not allowed to change or be redeemed ever after what he's done, I scratch my head. It's a double standard which I can't understand. Thor and Black Widow changed and are now acting as good guys, yet have (probably) done things just as bad if not worse and for a MUCH longer length of time, and people seem to have zero problem with them being "redeemed".

This is not real life, this is a fantasy superhero movie, this is fairy tales, where there is always a chance for the bad guy to see the error of his ways. Because people always want to have hope that this can happen, and that there is good in everyone. Now in the context of real life the "bad guy" will probably not be redeemed or change, which is why we have prisons and the death penalty (which I am oddly enough in support of). But again, this is a fantasy fairy tale story, for our entertainment and wonder, and here there is always a chance for the bad guy to redeem himself or change his ways at least, just as Thor and Black Widow were allowed to do.

You may want to check out a few pages back when I talk about Anakin Skywalker's redemption at length. Darth Vader certainly committed some genocide and treason leading up to that, and I dont think anyone had a problem with him redeeming himself in the end. The trilogy would not have been the same without it.

Last edited by elizah72; 11-20-2012 at 09:12 AM.