View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 01:32 AM   #942
A Necessary Evil
Peter Parker: Spider-Man

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
A lot of HP fans hate it, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is one of my favorite HP movies. I guess it's because I never read the book.
I like it alot, and agree that one of the things that make it better than the book is trimming the fat. Also while it's one of my least favorite of the HP series, I find it a hell of a lot better than the much overrated POA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
Yes. Look I don't have a laptop right now and you know how annoying it is to type on an iPad so I'll post this with as few errors as possible haha. It was organic. Like Goldeneye did for the post Cold war world, Skyfall is about Bond's place in the post 9/11 world while digging deep not only into the Bond history through the appropriation of past movies, but also giving us a more personal look into Bond's personal past, more so than any other Bond movie before. He was a broken man, and like other characters in movies before, sometimes it takes revisiting and facing your past in order fully realize why you had become the man you are. I'd be lying if I said the movie wasn't a trip down memory lane, but I'm glad that for the 50th anniversary of the movies that release a movie featuring Bond's past in a more extensive way.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
With Skyfall, most of the movie deals with the notion that the past is dead. For most of the movie, they subvert many the elements of past movies, whether it was the exploding pen joke, M's joke about the passenger car seat, the usual main Bond girl dying midway, etc. The WWII tunnels that were supposed to protect them backfires. At the point in which Bond kills Silva with a knife is when we realize that the past may not be fully dead. At this point, we are introduced to Moneypenny and a new male M in an office reminiscent of Connery movies. It all ties in with the personal history of Bond's past very well. The past is the past, but it will never be truly dead, whether it's Bond's past, England, and of course, Bond the character. Skyfall is truly the apotheosis of Bond movies.

Wow, typing on the iPad wasn't that bad at all.

Missing you, Heath