View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #81
MAKAVELI25
Side-Kick

Default Re: Bane or the Joker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Egads, this conversation is becoming increasingly frustrating, for a number of reasons. First, I give evidence / arguments for something and then I get told "nuh-uh" with no rebuttal. .
Because you have flat out made things up based on your interpretation. As I have said before, interpret the film in as many ways as you want, just don't use unsubstantiated interpretations as evidence

Quote:
Second, the film apparently only implies things about Bane in the Talia scene (where implications are "clear") but elsewhere if the movie implies anything else it is "not revealed." Its a double standard. Third, it is pretty obvious to me (but apparently I'm in the minority) that Bane has bought into Ra's whole belief system that Gotham needs to be destroyed:

Bane: We will fulfill Ra's Al Ghul's destiny. We will destroy Gotham. And then, when it is done, when Gotham is ashes, then you have my permission to die.

Bane: I am the League of Shadows. And I am here to fulfill Ra's Al Ghul's destiny! I will show you where I have made my home, while preparing to bring justice....
Obviously Bane says that he wants to accomplish Ra's Al Ghul's objectives, but the audience is given no clue as to why. All we know about Bane is that he rescued Talia, was rescued out of the prison by Ra's, and is later excommunicated by Ra's. We are given no logical reasons why he shares the ideals of the League of Shadows or why he is so dedicated to achieving their goals. We are also not given any isnight in to his personal philosophy or beliefs. He is simply an extension of Ra's/Talia's beliefs without a true personality of his own. As an audience we know why Bruce adopts the belief of the LOS, same with Ra's, we are even given a brief insight as to why Talia would want to attack Gotham. With Bane, is because HE JUST DOES. For random LOS henchman this would be acceptable, for one of the main villains in the film is just isn't enough.

Quote:
Bane isn't like anyone else! He lived an entire life of suffering in a pit with no hope, angry at the world, born in darkness. Do you think that past means nothing to him? That upon coming out of the pit he would just be some normal guy? What more did they have to show in the film to make it clear that Bane came from a life of suffering and that said suffering fuels his rage? It was pretty much the theme of the whole film, for Bruce, Talia, AND Bane! .
I don't understand the point of this argument. Obviously no one expects Bane to be a normal guy. Who claims he hasn't suffered or that he isn't angry. Talia obviously has a personal stake in attacking Gotham, what other reason, apart from Bane being a henchman, does HE have to attack GOtham?

Quote:
Aside from all the times that Bane says Gotham is corrupt? Apparently just believing Gotham was corrupt was sufficient for Ra's in Begins (according to your last comment) but here Bane needs a personal reason?.
The only time in the movie Bane calls Gotham corrupt is when he is trying to manipulate the populace. Name some other instances where he specifically says Gotham is corrupt. Don't worry, I'll wait

MAKAVELI25 is offline   Reply With Quote