View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #804
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Default Re: Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
I certainly wasn't criticizing Emma's inclusion as a Brotherhood member. My ...BLASPHEMY? comment was for my suggestion of getting rid of Emma for this next film. Her character neither hampered nor helped my enjoyment of FC. She was just...there. Besides I never liked Emma in the comics.
I agree she seemed a bit bland, and I'm not sure whether to blame acting, writing, directing, casting or all of those.

Given that Riptide never uttered a word and we didn't get that much out of Azazel, I'm sure some of it is down to Vaughn wanting them to be background henchmen in the same way Toad, Sabretooth and Mystique were in X1.

But I don't want characters tossed aside with no explanation. It was bad enough when Nightcrawler disappeared between X2 and X3, and even when there was no mention of Toad or Sabretooth in X2. (Nightcrawler was dropped from X3, and Toad dropped from X2, but nevertheless, regardless of the reasons, they didn't appear in the film).

If we are to have continuity and a shared universe, then we need to know why characters appear or disappear. Angel Salvadore and Riptide could be captured on a mission, even if that takes place off screen before the film begins. Azazel is more tricky because as a teleporter he would escape human attempts to capture or imprison him.

But we need Emma (even if they recast her with someone more curvy and charismatic). I'd be interested to see if Singer can get a better performance out of January Jones, though. And I want to see Emma in an astral plane battle with Charles.

Magneto is going to need at least SOME people around him or they won't be a Brotherhood at all.