View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 02:37 AM   #111
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: Bane or the Joker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
Yeah, I could see that, if Ra's didn't say something completely different in BB. The LOS isn't Al Qaeda, and their motives, along with Ra's, are very different in nature. If they thought the same way like Al Qaeda, they would also be targeting other cities outside of Gotham in the USA, but they don't, and are explicit about stating certain ones in different countries and why...at least, until Bane came back to Gotham, and kinda messed up what the LOS was all about in these movies. The only way I could kinda agree with that article, is if they see Gotham as its own country, which its not, sooooo.....
I would argue that they kinda do view it as its own country, as crazy as it sounds. Heck, by isolating it in TDKR they more or less make it so.

The thing is, Ra's calls Gotham "the world's greatest city", which is something that gets a callback in Rises as well. I think it's fair to say that he saw it as very symbolically valuable to his cause. Similarly to how Al Qaeda attacked the Twin Towers for its symbolic impact. It's about Gotham being the biggest and most sprawling city, therefore being a huge symbol for capitalism and Western civilization in general. It's the city they want to make an example out of so the world can make "the movement back to harmony".

The LOS is not an exact stand-in for Al Qaeda, but the point is the parallels are there. In the movies, they seem to operate as an organization that, through the ages, singles out one civilization at a time that they see as the pinnacle of human corruption. For this modern era, they have selected Gotham.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is online now   Reply With Quote