View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 03:08 AM   #270
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Default Re: Who would you let Joss Whedon kill in Avengers 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
That's a remarkably ruthless take on her actions. I interpreted them quite differently, and I would bet most people who didn't already hate her from the comics were similarly understanding of her mistakes, as they were the dumb, backstabbing and weak actions of all the other characters.

Ruthless? Not really. Hill wasn't portrayed in a very sympathetic light in the movie, her few moments of quasi-heroic action notwithstanding. She was a rather dimwitted obstructionist, and that is even more obvious when you look at the deleted scenes.

The character is an antagonist and was therefore bound to do some fairly wretched things, but I have to wonder why Whedon made Hill such an idiot. There must have been ways to have her butt heads with Fury that didn't involve her recommending harmful or self-defeating actions like calling off the evacuation of an imploding underground site. It wasn't as if Coulson had ordered an evac without taking other precautions, as Selvig and his team were still working to try and stop the Cube's reaction. On top of that, Hill's constant undermining of Fury made it clear that her top priority wasn't ensuring the best outcome but rather taking down her boss. Her actions would have engendered more sympathy from the audience had it been clear that she had valid concerns about Fury's plans.

In his commentary, Whedon identified the scene where Fury and Hill watched Iron Man and the Quinjet leaving the Helicarrier as the moment where she finally realized that Fury was right and stopped trying to oppose him. Presumably she'll have more character growth in her future appearances, though I'd rather see her exit (in a body bag) to make room for other, better SHIELD agents from the comics.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote