View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #159
ShredderX
Side-Kick

Default Re: Official 2012 Nickelodeon Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
And unlike Mirage it was mostly boring because it was still a kids show trying it's damndest to seem "grown up" and it felt inorganic a lot of the time. At least this new show is more conscious of what it is and isn't trying too hard to prove itself as being "more".

Yes which is the concept where a lot of the humor in the Mirage books derives from including having "serious anti-heroes".

And outside of the latter Fred Wolf seasons which I didn't even see since I outgrew the show by the 4th season this hasn't really been the case and nobody is asking for it to be.

Somehow I don't think this is true at all considering we're talking about a kid's show here. It just wasn't very successful at being organically fun.

But it was still meant to be fun in it's own right which it was a lot of the times.

BS. It's like saying "Batman of today is a joke" because he's grown beyond his original concept as a gun toting vigilante who had no real qualms about killing his foes. It's called a concept evolving beyond it's original identity is all.

This is how these properties manage to survive from generation to generation and not remain stale. The Turtles are NOW still the Turtles only difference is that they have much more dimensions than they did in the Mirage days. Back then they were purposely portrayed to be one note for satirical purposes and this is coming from a Mirage fan. Now a days they're more fleshed out and well rounded and there is nothing wrong with that. The current incarnations (IDW comics and the Nick show) are stronger for it.
So the 2003 cartoon was boring because it tried to be more " grown up " ? So what do you think about X-Men the animated series from the 90's or Batman : The Animated series, or Gargoyles ? How would you feel if those shows were remade in a " fun" style like " Ultimate Spider-Man ? " 2003 TMNT IMO was on the same level as those shows, and they were highly favored. And apparently 4Kids were doing something right, because the show did manage to last for 6 years. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, because other than minor things like Shredder being an Utrom, I think 2003 TMNT was a perfect adaptation. And sure there was SOME humor in Mirage books, but not slapstick, but for the most part it took itself seriously ( and to be honest, I'm not sure what humor you're talking about, the only person who said or did anything remotely funny was Mikey on occasion) Stories like " The River ", " Return to New York ", " City at War " were pretty serious storylines. And true, Batman may not be the gun-toting vigilante, but he's still faithful to his dark roots from the 40's and not the Campy 60's show. Like I said the Nick show is good, one of the better shows out on saturday morning now, but I just think the 2003 show is better.

Last edited by ShredderX; 11-22-2012 at 09:51 AM. Reason: spelling
ShredderX is offline   Reply With Quote