View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 12:22 AM   #131
Hamill-Joker
Side-Kick

Default Re: Wonder Woman Thread Reborn! - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
No, but she is from a society with a VERY antiquated code of conduct. And she's spent her entire life learning only the Amazon women's version of that realm of human behavior. There's A LOT about our world she will no doubt find a little difficult to wrap her head around - from the justice system to American politics to the contemporary social constructs between men and women to race relations to entertainment to consumer culture to modern parenting to technological dependence to...well, you get the idea. She can adapt and survive in our world on her own, sure. But it seems like Trevor's role would be to change her outlook towards it and help her to actually appreciate it for what it is, rather than judge it based on her literally ancient point-of-view.
I understand what you are saying and agree with it to a point, but the part about finding it even a little difficult to wrap her head around parts of human society I disagree.

I think that does Wonder Woman a little injustice. My take is that she would very quickly be able to wrap her head around pretty much everything and adapt quite quickly, but that doesn't mean should would accept it. Which I believe you also touched on your idea of learning to appreciate it and I agree that Steve Trevor would be an important part of her appreciating how human society works, but I think there is a need to be careful of how much he holds her hand in that process.

This is why I like the setting of World War II because that setting gives the story chances to discuss human society, with both the good traits and the questionable ones. One thought that keeps popping into my head is Wonder Woman seeing the Germans bombing English cities, and then later seeing the Allies bomb German cities.