View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #165
MrGreen
Side-Kick

Default Re: Official 2012 Nickelodeon Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredderX View Post
So the 2003 cartoon was boring because it tried to be more " grown up " ? So what do you think about X-Men the animated series from the 90's or Batman : The Animated series, or Gargoyles ? How would you feel if those shows were remade in a " fun" style like " Ultimate Spider-Man ? " 2003 TMNT IMO was on the same level as those shows, and they were highly favored. And apparently 4Kids were doing something right, because the show did manage to last for 6 years. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, because other than minor things like Shredder being an Utrom, I think 2003 TMNT was a perfect adaptation. And sure there was SOME humor in Mirage books, but not slapstick, but for the most part it took itself seriously ( and to be honest, I'm not sure what humor you're talking about, the only person who said or did anything remotely funny was Mikey on occasion) Stories like " The River ", " Return to New York ", " City at War " were pretty serious storylines. And true, Batman may not be the gun-toting vigilante, but he's still faithful to his dark roots from the 40's and not the Campy 60's show. Like I said the Nick show is good, one of the better shows out on saturday morning now, but I just think the 2003 show is better.
I really liked the 2003 show but I think this new Nick version is shaping up to be the better cartoon (too soon to tell). The 2003 show was dark, was emotional (the episode Nano was great) and had lots of great action and references (Raph saying "go ahead, make my day" is still my favorite). The thing with the Nick cartoon is that it reminds me of the first live action movie, with a great balance of comedy, character development and great action.
I'll label them like this
87 - Wacky fun show
03 - Serious and lots of action
Nick - A balance of great action and comedy

"Use the source, Luke!"
MrGreen is offline   Reply With Quote