View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #720
Happy Jack
Iconographer

Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
But Gotham doesn't NEED a masked hero. It's arguable that Batman made things worse by existing. Batman was what Bruce Wayne needed to work through his pain, and he tried to do good during the process. But Nolan has never made it very obvious that Batman all by his lonesome was going to "save" Gotham from itself.
I'm not sure if I agree with the idea that Batman was somehow bad for Gotham. A large part of Bruce's reasoning for inventing Batman in the first movie was to galvanize the city into saving itself. Yes, it was also because of his pain and Batman became the indirect cause for a lot of suffering, but he also did do good for Gotham. In Rises we see Batman's victory, the actualization of Bruce's goals. We see that Batman ultimately worked. I think the city will be better off than if Bruce had never put on the cape and cowl. If nothing else he wouldn't have been able to stop Ra's from destroying Gotham in Begins, which still would have happened regardless.

For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning.
Happy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote