View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #208
American Maid
Side-Kick

Default Re: Plot ideas based on SPOILERS (general discussion)

Jon (Aqua) said:
Quote:
I am not saying anything, but don't take Fiege's words so heavily. There is A LOT they don't tell us.
A while back I looked up a bunch of Feige pronouncements on movies that have already been released. My take on them was that he leaves out details and keeps it mysterious. That's quite reasonable; he's trying to stoke excitement about the movie. But he doesn't dissemble.

BTW, I think a lot of your synopsis makes sense. I am back to leaning toward Surtur in Thor 3, which would mean that the fight with Malekith is the big showdown. They can foreshadow Surtur and have a lot of room to do new story (or weave in another favorite bit) in Thor3 prior to the big showdown with Surtur. Of course, Thanos will be referenced, and may turn out to be behind some of the events of the film (such as the army) without him appearing in the film or acting directly.

Elizah said:
Quote:
"but an ancient race let by Malekith," now this makes me think that there may be some fight scenes prior to the Earth ones that they are filming now, that shows Thor defeating the Dark Elves (this could be where Alfheim comes into it, if they attack Alfheim or could be they attack Odin's palace and Frigga dies here)
Yeah, I think the big fight at Greenwich University comes later in the film than other fights. Thor shadowboxes for some of that fight. That suggests Kurse, and that suggests Algrim has already changed. Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje was in Iceland for that shoot. So maybe Thor fights Algrim in Iceland, and he's transformed there. (Natalie Portman was not in Iceland, so that suggests that the malevolent spirit does not change Algrim into Kurse).

Elizah said:
Quote:
I think there is a lot of merit to the idea of the Beyonder/Cosmic Cube/Tesseract stuff winding up being mixed in with Jane and Selvig and their wormhole experiments. That could be a reason why Jane may be brought to Asgard, to try to get Odin to talk sense into her and to drop that as being too dangerous a power for Earth to have. Lots of foreshadowing of danger that she would ultimately ignore and pay the price. That would hit pretty hard if the possession stuff is true and she is transforms and Thor can't save her (at least in Thor 2), lots of drama potential there. And in movies creating drama is a good thing. Much more interesting and heartbreaking to watch than just having Hela or Surtur do it.
You might be talking about the malevolent spirit transforming Algrim into Kurse, but I'm going to assume you're talking about Jane flaming out because she's overwhelmed by the malevolent spirit.

I have kind of mixed feelings about this angle. Jane is playing a role in the story that uses her abilities, so she's not just a love interest. That's a good thing. The idea of Odin trying to forbid Jane from conducting her research is rather condescending. Granted, that's not inconsistent with canon about Odin, but no one is scolding Erik, for example. Also, there are plenty of examples in history in which authorities can forestall, but cannot ultimately hold back, truth. Even if they succeed in talking Jane out of doing the research, someone else will.

And I'm a little uneasy about the idea of Jane flaming out because of the malevolent spirit. I know you, Elizah, have seen this article; in case others have not, here is the link: http://www.socialjusticeleague.net/2...ist-movie-yes/ The article remarks about how there are four strong female characters in the film (while Jane has her flaws (and Frigga's role was pared back too much), she is stronger than a lot of other female characters in cinema.) One of the points it makes is "Jane is never punished in the narrative for being a workaholic". This idea of the flameout kind of seems like the narrative is going to punish Jane for being a scientist (in a way that Erik, who has already been possessed and already opened a portal that lets a bunch of bad guys onto Midgard, has not been).

But I'm also still puzzled as to how this possession thing fits into the rest of the story. There are aspects of it that don't make sense. In addition to the power level of the malevolent spirit, which I've mentioned before, here's another question. Why can't Odin successfully exorcise the malevolent spirit? Why does she need to tag along with Thor and Loki? There are some pieces missing.

American Maid is offline   Reply With Quote