View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #209
elizah72
Side-Kick

Default Re: Plot ideas based on SPOILERS (general discussion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Maid View Post
You might be talking about the malevolent spirit transforming Algrim into Kurse, but I'm going to assume you're talking about Jane flaming out because she's overwhelmed by the malevolent spirit.

I have kind of mixed feelings about this angle. Jane is playing a role in the story that uses her abilities, so she's not just a love interest. That's a good thing. The idea of Odin trying to forbid Jane from conducting her research is rather condescending. Granted, that's not inconsistent with canon about Odin, but no one is scolding Erik, for example. Also, there are plenty of examples in history in which authorities can forestall, but cannot ultimately hold back, truth. Even if they succeed in talking Jane out of doing the research, someone else will.

And I'm a little uneasy about the idea of Jane flaming out because of the malevolent spirit. I know you, Elizah, have seen this article; in case others have not, here is the link: http://www.socialjusticeleague.net/2...ist-movie-yes/ The article remarks about how there are four strong female characters in the film (while Jane has her flaws (and Frigga's role was pared back too much), she is stronger than a lot of other female characters in cinema.) One of the points it makes is "Jane is never punished in the narrative for being a workaholic". This idea of the flameout kind of seems like the narrative is going to punish Jane for being a scientist (in a way that Erik, who has already been possessed and already opened a portal that lets a bunch of bad guys onto Midgard, has not been).
Well Doc Oc and Curt Connors and Norman Osborn were all "punished" for their work (among many others I could name off). This is a common thing to use to create villain or antagonist in comics especially. I don't see why they should leave Jane out of that just because she's a woman. That would be sexist of them. And Jane ignoring Odin, would go along with Jane's personality as we all saw her ignore Erik's warnings about Thor in Thor 1.

Quote:
But I'm also still puzzled as to how this possession thing fits into the rest of the story. There are aspects of it that don't make sense. In addition to the power level of the malevolent spirit, which I've mentioned before, here's another question. Why can't Odin successfully exorcise the malevolent spirit? Why does she need to tag along with Thor and Loki? There are some pieces missing.
or some pieces just plain wrong. I still think that guy was just guessing on some parts of this at least, filing in the blanks. Even the bigger named actors on films like this only get their pages of scripts, they can't necessarily get a clear picture of the story from that. So I am leaning towards it happening late in the game, if at all, at the moment anyway. I'm figuring what I'm figuring a great deal based on what happens in the comics, until I see more evidence. Maybe if we're lucky this coming week more light will be shed on this stuff as I think they may still be filming there until the 4th.

Quote:
Yeah, I think the big fight at Greenwich University comes later in the film than other fights. Thor shadowboxes for some of that fight. That suggests Kurse, and that suggests Algrim has already changed. Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje was in Iceland for that shoot. So maybe Thor fights Algrim in Iceland, and he's transformed there. (Natalie Portman was not in Iceland, so that suggests that the malevolent spirit does not change Algrim into Kurse).
So if you are saying that Jane is unlikely to be there for that, because she wasn't there in Iceland, then you are also saying that she wasn't there for the big trek with Thor and Loki, which I believe was part of the Iceland shoot. So again, Lawden may have been filling in some blanks himself and guessing wrong. It's very frustrating, in any case.

elizah72 is offline   Reply With Quote